OS X wont connect to internet at work

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a macbook pro, which I take to work with me. I have bootcamp installed, and at work I have a tendency to use windows (dont beat me up). Windows has no problem with the network and I get internet just fine. But when I switch over to Mac OS, it won't detect the ethernet connection at all. What's the problem? Any help would be appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Usually an ethernet connection is easy. Make sure you have your Mac side setup correctly. System Preferences, Network, Ethernet. Check to be sure you're using DHCP. Also check the location drop down box for the correct location.

All this assumes you're not going thru a proxy server at the office.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, I should have mentioned I have done that. It shows the Ethernet connection as a green light and connected. Its set to auto dhcp and I made a new location for Work, but nadda :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's really not much more that can be configured for ethernet. Most settings "just work" and are automatic. I suggest you check with your IT folks at work and see if your network is compatible with Mac OS X. It should be, but ask anyway.

As I said previously, make sure there are no proxy settings that are needed. Windows handles those quite easily and I've never had to set them up for OS X so I don't really know...

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does your company use a proxy server? If so, get the server name. You'll need to configure your browser to look to it to serve webpages.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah....easier said than done :( I work in South Korea and the people here don't speak English. Crap! ;D Oh well :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Actually ended up finding the problem. No workgroup was selected. I chose mshome and it worked fine from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting the solution. It turned out to be less complicated than we thought.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hmm, actually its not working again, and no workgroup shows up in the dropdown menu anymore *sigh* I think its just an issue here but they don't speak English, so sucks for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.