Iphone 4 and Current State of Turn by Turn GPS Apps

Reaction score
I am at the point where I am going to need a turn by turn GPS and would prefer to use my Iphone 4.

Does anyone know what is currently the best turn by turn GPS app and how it plays with IOS4?

I know that asking which app is best is tough because everyone has an opinion but on a turn by turn it may be easier since you can judge by how often maps are updated and so forth.

I am eagerly awaiting your suggestions and would like you to know that I am currently leaning towards Tom Tom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Navigon may be the most highly regarded one from what I've read, though I have not used it. Of the 3 I have used (MotionX, CoPilot, and NDrive), I like MotionX overall. It looks a little nicer, I like the voice instructions better, and it has features like integration with the iPhone's contacts. Downside is an overly redundant series of menus and an incredible degree of battery drain. Using it on cross-country recently, it drained the battery faster than it charged. No, I'm not kidding. It was definitely the app... no such problem with NDrive. But NDrive doesn't access the iPhone's existing contacts app (mucho lame, IMO). My major beef with CoPilot is that it's just awkward to enter addresses into it. I don't know how to explain it... but I find it extremely aggravating to use.

Reaction score
I agree with the other poster that Navigon seems to be the most respected generally. On most of the serious comparisons they come out on top. And they do great among the user reviews in the itunes store.

I have Navigon, G-Map, and others.

My personal take? Navigon is truly excellent on the iPhone 4 in just about every way.

Here's what totally excellent:
The interface, the routing, the map display with auto zoom, the range of features, the speed, the ability to actually run in the background and give guidance from the background, alternatively, the ability (after I CANCEL navigation) to preserve state and "launch" instantly (even after running ten other apps), GPS tracking, instant accurate position fix, auto routing based on current traffic conditions, the POI data base, alternatively, the use of Google POI's for destinations, handling of my iphone contacts, even my contact groups, the ability to show a full route summary (turn list) at any time, the ability to use any background music app while getting guidance.

I have had ZERO problems and would recommend it without reservation.

By the way. The iPhone 4 GPS chip is really excellent now as well. It seems to now have ZERO delay in getting a VERY accurate fix, even from a cold start, and regardless of its location within the car.

Net/Net: The iphone 4 and Navigon are a great combination. JMHO

Pete

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.