• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem with FCE

Reaction score
I'm having some problems importing files into FCE. I record footage from my television using an HD-PVR video device and then export that file in an H.264 format. The file then shows as an M-PEG 4 movie with codecs as H.264, AAC. I then try and import the file into FCE and I get an error message that says "1 files recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown". Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yeah, importing / editing H.264 files in FCE can be interesting.

I'd suggest getting mpegstreamclip and convert the mp4 into an Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) .mov - from there, you should be able to take that file and import it into the project without problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah I just got this little program today, I thought it might help. But I was waiting for the proper guidance as to how to use it. I'm guessing I would choose the "Export using Quicktime" option and then in the compression list I would choose Apple Intermediate Codec? Are there any additional settings that I should look at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't have to transcode too much into AIC, but when I do usually I just set:

Export to Quicktime
Compression: Apple Intermediate Codec
Quality: 100% (this may even be irrelevant for AIC, I'm not sure)
Frame size: unscaled
Frame rate: either blank or the frame rate of the source material - sometimes you have to put in the frame rate as it may "guess" wrong - easy to spot after conversion as audio goes out of sync and/or playback just doesn't look right
Interlaced Scaling: depends on source, if progressive uncheck.
Sound: uncompressed, stereo, auto

Make movie

and you should be good to go.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you sir! Everything is working smoothly and I'm off to editing my footage! The encode took about 20 minutes but thats no big deal I guess. Now I can start editing my clips and stuff like that! Thank you for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.