Any way to mount a .hdd file?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this belongs in the "Apple notebooks - hardware" section, but I'm not sure where to put it. Moderator move if needed.

Basically I was using Parallels Desktop 5 with windows to play a few PC only games, (Mainly Dragon Age: Origins). The games were running flawlessly through parallels. I went to class today and figured I'd shut down my computer while I was at college.

When I came home, I turned on my computer and booted Parallels. After it started running, it wouldn't boot windows, and basically I would get the message "Trying to boot from Primary Hard Drive" and it would just hang forever. I already searched parallels' forums as well as google, and found many people with the same problem, but no solutions.

I tried a few troublemaking steps such as recreating the virtual machine and importing the hard drive, to messing with the system configuration, to system updates and rebooting. Nothing prevailed. Honestly, I don't mind deleting the whole operating system and reinstalling windows and Dragon Age again, but I want my save data =(.

Basically I am stuck with this little .hdd file, which is a remnant of my virtual windows "hard drive". I tried mounting it with the parallels mounter and it failed. I also have a Linux virtual machine installed with parallels, which is able to boot properly, but I can't mount the Linux virtual hard drive either, so I know the windows virtual drive isn't corrupted.

Sorry this is so long, so now I'll get to my point. I've given up looking for solutions to fixing the problem, and I'll just reinstall the whole OS. However I want to open this ".hdd" file just to get a few files off it before I wipe it. I tried disk utility, which only tries to make a dmg copy of it, which fails to open once its done. Does anyone know a way I can mount the .hdd file? The parallels mounter doesn't work. Any third party programs?

Thanks for reading this post and helping me with this problem. I'm going to continue searching google in the mean time, and hopefully I don't have to start playing all my games from scratch.

Regards.
-GM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.