Can't reinstall DVDPlayer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hello,

Using Powerbook 8ooMhz 1 GB Ram / Tiger 10.4.1

My Powerbook DVDPlayer would not play any of my DVD's unless they were at least 5 years old ( Don't Know What That is About), so I decided to delete the DVD Player and do a reinstall.

Well I removed DVD Player and now when I try to install the file @ http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/dvdplayer46.html the installer
says can't install because a newer version exist on my harddrive. I took the other DVD Player out of the App Folder and into trash, then deleted it from there, were else could there be a version of the DVDPlayer or some file that appears to the installer that the DVDPlayer is installed?

Ideas and thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Go to HD -> Library -> Receipts. Then see if you can delete the remnant the DVD Player app, then try again.

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
iWhat said:
Go to HD -> Library -> Receipts. Then see if you can delete the remnant the DVD Player app, then try again.

Nothing in receipts:
/Users/jwhite/Library

In
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library

There are many .pkg files, ones with dvd in the name are below.

iDVD.pkg
iDVD501Update.pkg
iDVD5Themes.pkg
iDVDThemes.pkg

Thanks,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
gunnerjoe said:
Hello,

Using Powerbook 8ooMhz 1 GB Ram / Tiger 10.4.1

My Powerbook DVDPlayer would not play any of my DVD's unless they were at least 5 years old ( Don't Know What That is About), so I decided to delete the DVD Player and do a reinstall.

Well I removed DVD Player and now when I try to install the file @ http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/dvdplayer46.html the installer
says can't install because a newer version exist on my harddrive. I took the other DVD Player out of the App Folder and into trash, then deleted it from there, were else could there be a version of the DVDPlayer or some file that appears to the installer that the DVDPlayer is installed?

Ideas and thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

that link is for a DVD player update, not a full install

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
that link is for a DVD player update, not a full install

Ok, How do I get the full install package?

Thanks,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I think you can install it from your Tiger install DVD

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
I think you can install it from your Tiger install DVD

I looked on the OS X DVD and DVDPlayer is not one of the optional install packages.

Ideas Anyone!

Thanks,

Joe

Reaction score
Try using Pacifist. Just installed mine 'cause when I installed Tiger I didn't have a DVD drive and it didn't install it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.