Potential Hijack- Please Help

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently came back to my computer after leaving it idle for awhile and saw several windows open that contained a message along the lines of "Do you wish to allow (random 4 digit letter string) access to your..." with the option of allowing or denying. I chose deny each time, but there were two changes to my computer that occurred.

The first is that my Safari web history prior to that day had been cleared, that is, the earliest history I have is the few sites I visited before I noticed the other change: that the date had been changed, to Dec 31st of either 2000 or 2010. These are the only changes I've noticed, but this just happened this week and I want to nip it in the bud.

I downloaded iAntiVirus from download.com and the scan came back clean. I downloaded about 20 files via AcQuisition, a Gnutella based P2P client, but have deleted those files as well as the AQ app. I am wondering if there is anything else i need to do or any other ways to find out what may have happened or what has yet to happen. I will check back regularly to answer any questions I may not have covered here. Thanks very much for helping.

Andrew

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more about your machine specs? When I first read this it sounded to me like the behavior I used to see when the pram battery was starting to go but that usually happened if the machine had been off for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Those "Allow/Deny" prompts are very disturbing. Are you still getting them? Have you rebooted? Do you get them when logged into any other user on the computer? And... what EXACTLY have you been downloading off the Gnutella network? If you have been pirating software, then it is likely you have been compromised, at least if you hit "Accept" in those messages anyway. There are only a couple known trojans that can infect OS X, all of which masquerade as pirated software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I downloaded about 20 files via AcQuisition, a Gnutella based P2P client, but have deleted those files as well as the AQ app.
Like lifeisabeach, I think this could be the root of your problem. Regardless of whether or not you deleted those files, it is very possible that if something was attached to them, they have already "done their thing." What exactly did you download?

OP
A
Reaction score
Like lifeisabeach, I think this could be the root of your problem. Regardless of whether or not you deleted those files, it is very possible that if something was attached to them, they have already "done their thing." What exactly did you download?

I downloaded 20 music files, no software and no video files. I did not click accept on any of the prompts but I was alarmed because the clock was changed which shows something happened. I wondered if that meant that someone or something was already "in." So far nothing else has happened and it has been about a week. Is reinstalling Leopard the smart thing to do before any thing else advances or should I wait to see if anything else acts up? If I wait, what should I look for?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac do you own? Model? Specs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only reason I wanted to know is to be sure it's a new machine and it's not just the PRAM battery dying which would give the exact issues with the clock. Your machine is probably too new for that.

I wonder if it could be a time server issue? OSX will set the date and time to a time server if that option is checked. Was wondering if maybe something went nutz.

OP
A
Reaction score
Model and Specs

MB985LL/A

Manufacturer Apple
Manufacturer Part # MB985LL/A
Device Type Notebook
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz ( Dual Core )
Data Bus Speed 1066 MHz
Cache Memory Type L2 cache
Installed Size 3 MB
RAM Installed Size 4 GB (2 GB x 2) / 8 GB (max)
Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Memory Speed 1066 MHz
System Type MacBook Pro
Storage Hard Drive 320 GB, SATA-150, 5400 rpm
Optical Storage Type 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Write Speeds 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW; 6x DVD-RW; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer); 24x CD-R; 16x CD-RW
Read Speeds 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW; 24x CD
Display Type
15.4" TFT Actvie Matrix LCD

Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
Video Memory 256 MB
Max. Resolution 1440 x 900
Audio Type Sound Card
Input Device Types Keyboard, Trackpad
Features Built-in full-size backlit keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement).
Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities.
Networking Wireless Integrated
Networking Network Adapter
Data Link Protocol Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
Expansion Expansion Slots Total 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/34
2 ( 0 ) x memory, SO DIMM 200-pin
Interfaces 2 x display / video, DVI-Analog/Digital
1 x audio, SPDIF output/headphones, mini-phone 3.5 mm
1 x IEEE 1394, FireWire 800
2 x Hi-Speed USB, 4 pin USB Type A
1 x network, Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T, RJ-45
1 x Kensington lock slot
1 x SD card slot
Miscellaneous Features Locking device keyhole (cable lock)
Operating System Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Software Included iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools
iLife ’09 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)
Battery Technology Lithium Polymer
Wattage 73 Watt
Average Run Time 7 hrs
Installed Qty 1
Power Type External
Features 73-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery providing up to 7 hours of battery life
Electrical and environmental requirements Min Operating Temperature 50°F
Max Operating Temperature 95 °F
Humidity Range Operating 0 - 90%
Maximum Operating Altitude 10,000 feet
Maximum Storage Altitude 15,000 feet
Maximum Shipping Altitude 35,000 feet
Dimensions
(W x D x H) Unit 14.3" x 9.8" x .95"
Weight Unit 5.5 lbs

Introduction Date: June 8, 2009 Discontinued Date: April 13, 2010
Processors: 1 (2 Cores) Geekbench: 3719*
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz Processor Type: Core 2 Duo (P8800)
Details: *The Intel "Core 2 Duo" 45 nm "Penryn" (P8800) processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip.

Also see: How fast are the "Mid-2009" 13-Inch, 15-Inch, and 17-Inch MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo models compared to one another? How fast are they compared to the models each replaced?
Custom Speeds: N/A Architecture: 64-Bit
Processor Upgrade: Soldered FPU: Integrated
System Bus Speed: 1066 MHz Cache Bus Speed: 2.66 GHz (Built-in)
ROM/Firmware Type: EFI EFI Architecture: 64-Bit
L1 Cache: 32k/32k L2/L3 Cache: 3 MB (on chip)
RAM Type: PC3-8500 DDR3 Min. RAM Speed: 1066 MHz
Details: Supports 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM.

Also see: How do you upgrade the RAM in the "Mid-2009" 13-Inch, 15-Inch, and 17-Inch MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo models? How much RAM of what type do they support?
Standard RAM: 4 GB Maximum RAM: 8 GB
Details: 4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB modules, no slots free.

Also see: Actual Max RAM of All G3 & Later Macs.
Motherboard RAM: None RAM Slots: 2
Video Card: GeForce 9600M GT* VRAM Type: GDDR3*
Details: *This system has dual graphics processors -- a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 SDRAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.
Standard VRAM: 256 MB* Maximum VRAM: 256 MB*
Built-in Display: 15.4" Widescreen Native Resolution: 1440x900
Details: 15.4" color widescreen LED-backlit TFT active-matrix display with a 1440 by 900 native resolution.

Site sponsor Mission Repair offers free diagnosis of MacBook Pro hardware problems and a 24-hour repair service for this MacBook Pro. Display repacement, keyboard replacement, a hard drive upgrade service, and more are provided.
2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring 2nd Max. Resolution: 2560x1600
Details: The maximum resolution supported on an external display is 2560x1600.
Standard Hard Drive: 320 GB (5400 RPM) Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (3 Gb/s)
Standard Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive" Standard Disk: None
Details: Apple reports that this slot-loading "SuperDrive" (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) has a maxium write speed of "8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW" and a maximum read speed of "8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD".
Standard Modem: None Standard Ethernet: 10/100/1000Base-T
Standard AirPort: 802.11a/b/g/n Standard Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR
USB Ports: 2 (2.0) Firewire Ports: 1 (800)
Details: Two 480-Mbps USB 2.0 ports, one 800-Mbps Firewire "800" port.

Also see: Complete Ports.
Expansion Slots: SD Card Slot Expansion Bays: None
Details: This model has an SD card slot. It does not have an ExpressCard/34 expansion slot. No expansion bays are provided.
Incl. Keyboard: Full-size Incl. Input: Trackpad (4 Finger)
Case Type: Notebook Form Factor: MacBook Pro (Unibody)
Apple Order No: MB985LL/A Apple Subfamily: Mid-2009 15"

Battery Type: 73 W/Hr Li-Poly Battery Life: 7 Hours
Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.5.7 (9J3050) Maximum MacOS: Current
Minimum Windows: XP SP2 (32-Bit)* Maximum Windows: 7 (64-Bit)**
MacOS 9 Support: None Windows Support: Boot/Virtualization
Details: Also see: Are there any third-party programs to run MacOS 9/Classic applications on Intel Macs?

Dimensions: 0.95 x 14.35 x 9.82 Avg. Weight: 5.5 lbs (2.49 kg)
Original Price: US$1999 Est. Current Retail: US$1450-US$1800

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.