Strange why apple records audio in quicktime in .mov, conversion?

Reaction score
Strange how apple chooses the .mov format to encode audio in quicktime, I ve captured a few radio talks and I can't find a way to convert them to .m4a....:hmm:

Even the great xld can't do it...

OP
G
Reaction score
update, I used garageband and itunes to get out of this mess ultimately, but it really is a poor implementation the voice recording feature. Since itunes is destined to play audio files as per the de facto standards on os x, it makes little sense for this to be in a .mov container. I understand that it's the usual output of quicktime but it doesn't integrate well with the rest of the os, so either the rest of the os and itunes have to change or the quicktime extension. Guess what I think should change, lol.

Also I am disappointed that you cannot set specific bitrates just high and max settings, all this customization exists for itunes, why not quicktime? Because as is you have to, and that's what I am going to do in the future, go with garage band, just for recording a simple line in or soundcard audio from the mac....tstststs...

As an aside may I ask what the difference between .m4v and .mov is (and mp4), not the rudimentary stuff - I am aware of this, but why doesn't apple just do away with dual formats for quicktime and itunes to just go with one file type for movies and one for audio (or class of file types). I see little point in the existence of .mov anymore, does anyone else agree?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You would be far more likely to receive help, advice, or suggestions if you merely asked a question instead of griping and complaining about something before you even learn or discover if there is or isn't a way of accomplishing what you want.

"You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar."

OP
G
Reaction score
You would be far more likely to receive help, advice, or suggestions if you merely asked a question instead of griping and complaining about something before you even learn or discover if there is or isn't a way of accomplishing what you want.

"You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar."

Thanks for your condescending tone, maybe you 'd like to re-read what I said instead of projecting. Kinda funny though isn't it that a post (yours) supposed to instruct others for better posting habits, adds absolutely nothing to the thread. As they say if you don't have anything good to say you might as well not say it. I didn't come here to vent out, just voiced my frustration, and tried to do it in a contructive way for others that might visit the thread with a similar query, and you now technology and frustration go hand in hand. Even after I 've pretty much resolved my frustration I can understand why someone can be frustrated with said issue.

In any case I hope your attitude is not representative of these forums, because the reason I chose to register in these forums was that people seemed polite and they didn't seem such abhorrent places such as mac rumors say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for your condescending tone, maybe you 'd like to re-read what I said instead of projecting. Kinda funny though isn't it that a post (yours) supposed to instruct others for better posting habits, adds absolutely nothing to the thread. As they say if you don't have anything good to say you might as well not say it. I didn't come here to vent out, just voiced my frustration, and tried to do it in a contructive way for others that might visit the thread with a similar query, and you now technology and frustration go hand in hand. Even after I 've pretty much resolved my frustration I can understand why someone can be frustrated with said issue.

In any case I hope your attitude is not representative of these forums, because the reason I chose to register in these forums was that people seemed polite and they didn't seem such abhorrent places such as mac rumors say.

I'll admit tone is not well-projected via type, so you do not realize that I was being sincere and offering you "advice" to get a response.
I do not know the answer to your problem or I would have told you how to resolve it. Someone else on these forums would be far more likely to help you if you posted nicely and asked nicely. I stick to my initial suggestions/advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Gentlemen - let there be an outbreak of peace here O:).

Try FStream to play - and record - streaming radio. FStream (Mac) - Download

The Top Shelf application for recording absolutely ANYTHING that passes through the Mac system though is WireTap (Studio) WireTap Studio | Ambrosia Software, Inc. It stores the audio file in .aifc format, high quality.

If however you wish to use Quicktime, or its format is the only one available to you, then SoundConverter SoundConverter (Mac) - Download will do the job. This is what I use, and the paid version has a truckload of alternative sound formats from which to choose.

OP
G
Reaction score
No worries on my side, words can be misconstrued in topics, so no hard feelings and on to the matter at hand so this thread might be useful to others too.

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly though I love fstream on the iphone/ipad I wasn't aware of a mac version, lol. Radio gaga although not free is quite nice too, got it from a bundle at macupdate.

I 've heard about wiretap studio, thanks for reminding me about it. Is it really that good? I know it's the de facto standard in podcasts. But I am not sure what more it does over garage band and soundflower, and why should it necessitate to save in a proprietary format. But I 've heard a lot of people swearing by it.

Thanks for the heads up about soundcoverter, I ll have a look at it. Max and xld have worked for me so far, but I am always up for new options. As far as I can understand "max" quality quicktime audio rec. isn't compressed just encapsulated in a .mov file, so that should give ample options for soundconverter to do a good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've heard about wiretap studio ... Is it really that good?

Yes.

why should it necessitate to save in a proprietary format.

I'm using the older (Pro) version. Its only drawbacks afaic (!), is that VLC Player won't play .aifc format; and the file size. That's where SoundConverter plays its part. [aifc format, incidentally, was superceded very soon after its inception by .aiff.]

But I've heard a lot of people swearing by it.

A great deal better than swearing AT it :). It's a goodie. As emphasised in my previous response, it records anything going through the Mac. You can record conversations on Skype for example. I use it to record archived radio broadcasts where the Save function in Quicktime (the broadcast format) has been blocked.

If you're heavily into recording audio, I recommend adding Amadeus to the stable. An excellent editing tool.

OP
G
Reaction score
hey hugh thanks for that! I will surely check this software out, I use a combo of soundflower driver and app and garage band or quicktime for similar recording purposes, but of course something more versatile and easy to use is always welcome.

C

chas_m

You might also want to look at Audio Hijack Pro as a possible alternative to Wiretap Studio.

WTS is awesome indeed, but AHP is cheaper and does much the same thing.

+1 for Amadeus Pro for an editor, btw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.