iPod sorting issues

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new to the forum. English isn't my native language but I hope you'll be able to understand me. I have attached a picture of what my tags look like.

I have ripped a Kim Wilde CD in iTunes. It includes a duet which I tagged as "Kim Wilde & Junior", in the artist field. To get iTunes to sort the all the songs in the same album, I used the "sort artist field" and entered Kim Wilde.

It works fine in iTunes, but when I put the album on my iPod, "Kim Wilde & Junior" get an entry of their own, with only the duet in it. And the duet doesn't show up at all in the "Kim Wilde" section.

Also, there are now two "Kim Wilde" in the iPod artist list. What have I done wrong?

I have tried several Swedish Mac forums but I never got any answers, so I would appreciate your help!

Thank you!

KimWildeiTunesError2.png

C

chas_m

Go into the tagging info for the song, and make sure that "Album Artist" is the same as it is for the rest of the album. If those fields are blank, fill them in with "Kim Wilde." That will group it together.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmmm

Thanks for your reply. Sadly, it didn't work. :( There are still 2 "Kim Wilde" and none of them include the duet, it's under "Kim Wilde & Junior".

Do you think it would help to restore the iPod? I don't understand why it works in iTunes but not on the iPod.

Go into the tagging info for the song, and make sure that "Album Artist" is the same as it is for the rest of the album. If those fields are blank, fill them in with "Kim Wilde." That will group it together.

OP
D
Reaction score
Restored

I tried restoring the iPod (removed all the tracks ect) but the problem is still there.

I'll attach a new photo of what the tagging looks like on the iPod. Maybe you can find something I've missed. :)

Is it possible to choose sorting settings especially for the iPhone?

iTunesError.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
you need to make sure both the Artist and the Album fields are the same. I'd suggest highlighting all the tracks simultaneously, then do a 'Get Info' and re-type those two fields.

You could try just editing the Album field. But if you leave the artist field different for that one song, whenever you sort by artist, it's going to show up separately.

I have this sort of issue with my multi-part audio books all the time. Nowadays, I edit the entire book at once myself as soon as I import them.

edit:
Actually, from the pic, it looks like you have it all edited correctly. When you go to look based on artist in the iPod app, it's going to show that song separately. If you have re-synced already, I'd try removing that album from your iPod and sync again.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmmm

The strange thing is that it has worked before. When using the "sort artist" field I could access the whole album (including duets) by going in through a single artist. :S

I looked, and none of the older albums with duets work either. Could there be a setting issue?

Actually, from the pic, it looks like you have it all edited correctly. When you go to look based on artist in the iPod app, it's going to show that song separately. If you have re-synced already, I'd try removing that album from your iPod and sync again.

OP
D
Reaction score
This is what it looks like on the iPod

This is what it looks like on the iPod. Two "Kim Wildes" and none of them include the duet, even though I've used the "sort artist" field.

P1010274.JPG

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, remove them from your iPod and resync.

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried, but it didn't work. Still looks the same as my last attachment. :( Maybe I need an iPod Touch to be able to scroll though and get all songs from one album in the same list (duets included)?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you still have 'Kim Wilde' listed twice when browsing by artist, there is something different about the way they are typed into iTunes. A space at the end of one of them, or something. I've had some I never did figure out what was different.

You need to highlight all of those tracks at one time in iTunes, then right click and select Get Info. then you'll be editing the Artist box in all of them at one shot so you know they're all the same.
As long as you keep the other track with both artists names, it's going to appear as a separate artist when viewing by artist. If the Album name is correct, it will appear in the same album when viewing by album.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, I've tried that many times but there are still two Kim Wilde. It's the same with all artists that have a duet. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.