New iMac ATI 5750

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
If it's been 14 days since you've bought it, and the newer iMacs have been released, you can exchange it for a newer model with no penalty. If it's been a little longer, there still might be a chance you can do it.

If you game under windows, none of the driver issues occur. Under windows, you have the freedom to always update to the most recent drivers and add any additional overclocking if you need a little bit of exter performance. The iMac has great cooling if you keep the fans revving at higher rpms, so heat isn't an issue. I personally overclock my iMac's mobility 4850 to desktop standards. (mobility 4850 has 503mhz core clock and 850mhz vram clock, desktop 4850 has 625mhz core clock and 990mhz vram clock)

I get 20% more fps for the 20% in overclock. (sc2 maxed at native resolution went from 28 fps to 35fps)

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If it's been 14 days since you've bought it, and the newer iMacs have been released, you can exchange it for a newer model with no penalty. If it's been a little longer, there still might be a chance you can do it.

If you game under windows, none of the driver issues occur. Under windows, you have the freedom to always update to the most recent drivers and add any additional overclocking if you need a little bit of exter performance. The iMac has great cooling if you keep the fans revving at higher rpms, so heat isn't an issue. I personally overclock my iMac's mobility 4850 to desktop standards. (mobility 4850 has 503mhz core clock and 850mhz vram clock, desktop 4850 has 625mhz core clock and 990mhz vram clock)

I get 20% more fps for the 20% in overclock. (sc2 maxed at native resolution went from 28 fps to 35fps)

What tool are you using for your overclocking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
I use msi afterburner for overclocking in windows. I also edited its config .txt file to allow unofficial overclocking of mobility cards-- which is easy. (open .txt file with notepad, change unofficial overclocking number from 0 to 1, then save as .txt document under same name)

To keep the card cool, I max out my odd fan under osx with smc fan control, then restart into windows. The temp of my gpu with apple's default fan settings gets around 80c before the odd fan starts to kick in, and then the gpu gets down to around 60-70c. While overclocked, the 'desktop' 4850 never goes above 67c.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.