My New Mac (pics) + Questions

M

mr..nemo

I Must say im happy new mac up and running at last, i must thank you all for your help i have attatched a pic. the speck is:
-duel 2.0 powermac
-2.5g RAM
-TV card
-256 graphics card
-250gb hard drive

now i have a few questions.

1.i would add a pic, but usually when i put my digital camera plugged in on xp the camera window opens, how do i get this window on os x

2.how can i put a username and pass and login screen, instead of streight away loading os x

3.will the safrie brouser block popups??

4.are there any utiletys i should use or be aware of?

i think thats it for now but no doubht ill add more :spook:

OP
M

mr..nemo

ok i worked out number 1, like an idiot i didnt plug the cam in propper.

also

5. is there any way i can turn just the monitor off, then back on again, coz the button on the side appears to be a shut down one.

6.may seem silly but how long does this nice white keyboars, stay white lol

thanks again

DSC01915.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
2.how can i put a username and pass and login screen, instead of streight away loading os x

Go to System Preferences and choose Accounts. On the left, near the bottom you should see the Login Options. Click on it and uncheck the "automatically log in" option.

3.will the safrie brouser block popups??

Yes. I believe it is turned on by default. To enable/disable it, just check or uncheck it from the Menu at the top. (click on the app name 'Safari' to see this menu)

4.are there any utiletys i should use or be aware of?

If you go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, you will see the option to Repair Permissions. This can be your best friend and first option if you ever notice your Mac acting strange or funny. You may want to do this about every two weeks, regardless of how your Mac is running, as a preventative measure. Also do it after every major software update.

5. is there any way i can turn just the monitor off, then back on again, coz the button on the side appears to be a shut down one.

You can set the display to sleep from your System Preferences. I myself don't have the Apple display, so I can't offer any better advice on this one.

6.may seem silly but how long does this nice white keyboars, stay white

I have had mine for almost 2 years and it is still pretty clean. If you do notice it getty a little dirty, I have found that most spray cleaners work fairly well on it. Just spray some on a paper towel or something and wipe down the keyboard with it.

Hope this helps and congrats on your new Mac!!
:black:

OP
M

mr..nemo

thats great cheers. but what does the disk utilety do??

and ive just installed msn, and then ms office and ive noticed 2msn messanger icons on the doc. does this mean ive installed 2??? also office installed an email client which i might uninstall, how do i uninstall programes from the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I think the power button on the side of the cinema display turns off the display itself and not the whole system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
what kind of tv card is that? i have a TV card from a pc im not sure itll work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
mr..nemo said:
ok i worked out number 1, like an idiot i didnt plug the cam in propper.

also

6.may seem silly but how long does this nice white keyboars, stay white lol

thanks again
Congrats but maybe try fliping the pic next time so I dont have to pick up my laptop and tilt it

for question 5: open up System Preferences, Click on Displays then Options tab and you will see what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
edgefusion said:
I think the power button on the side of the cinema display turns off the display itself and not the whole system.

The power button on the Apple Cinema displays can turn off the computer OR just turn off the display; you can set it in "System Preferences."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
sevenhelmet said:
The power button on the Apple Cinema displays can turn off the computer OR just turn off the display; you can set it in "System Preferences."

Smart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.