What is this?

Reaction score
The last couple of times I booted my mac up, it sits on the grey startup screen for atleast ten minutes. The only thing on the screen is the Apple icon, then underneath is that spinning icon, and then underneath that is a loading bar.

I thought it was just installing updates or something at first, but then after doing it again its got me scared its a fault.

Can anybody tell me why this keeps happening? :S

Many thanks,
Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is your Mac starting in safe mode.... as to why, I don't know.
I wonder if your shift key is stuck.
Try repairing permissions..... Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility, select the hard drive and click repair disk permissions.
Next, while in disk utility, verify and repair disk.
Next, try resetting PRAM Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
Next, I'm out of ideas other than a hardware test Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test and then the last resort of a reinstall.

OP
S
Reaction score
Cheers for the ideas, giving them a whirl now.

You say its booting to safe mode, well when it finally loads up everything is normal, i've never been in a macs safe mode but i believe this isnt it :S

Its just annoying now that everytime I turn it on it takes ten minutes before i can actually use it :(

My shift keys cant be stuck neither or else I would probably be writing in caps. Wish this was the issue though cos it'd be a **** of alot simpler :(

Currently im repairing permissions (don't really know what this does tho lol) And then i'll try reset PRAM. Any other ideas I'm willing to try :) Just dont want to reinstall :(

Cheers for the response!

Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Its just annoying now that everytime I turn it on it takes ten minutes before i can actually use it :(

Thats still a min quicker than my old windows machine LOL

Sorry I cant offer any help... Im new to Macs myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
There's this free program called onyx that goes a bit further in terms of cleanup on your machine. Give that a shot, and see what happens.

C

chas_m

The reason its taking 10 minutes to boot is because it gets "stuck" on something that's trying to load and failing ... the system has to wait for a timeout before moving on (or trying again).

Your log files (viewable via console), examined immediately after a bootup should tell the tale.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.