What's the most popular iPad version?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one, but don't think I need the 3g. I'll be using mostly in home, hotel, airports...

Thinking I'll go with the 32g version. Interested in feedback though. Thx.

C

chas_m

I don't believe Apple has released that information. Since the wifi-only one was available for longer than the 3G one, I'm going to GUESS that the wifi one has been more popular.

As for capacity, on OTHER products that Apple HAS mentioned capacity, the largest capacity model always tends to be the best seller. Perhaps that is also the case here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
This sounds like 2 separate questions...

1) What is the most popular configuration?

and

2) Which configuration is right for you and we do not have enough information to answer that.

Reaction score
I got the 32gb the day they came out (BTW: stumbled into store late in the day while Easter shopping, didn't wait in line). Very happy with it. I use it 99% at home and the other places I use it have wifi. No need for another data plan as I have enough already! Sounds like a wifi model would work for you. As to the size, it depends on what you want to store on it. Only you have that answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
We have the wifi 16-gig. I'm glad I stuck with the wifi since I have an iPhone for mobile use. I kind of wish I had gotten the 32-gig though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have the 64GB wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This sounds like 2 separate questions...

1) What is the most popular configuration?

and

2) Which configuration is right for you and we do not have enough information to answer that.

Yup!

1) So, why not turn this into a Poll question?

2) 1991-C4 hit the nail on the head. Only the OP can determine what he/she needs/wants. It all depends on things like personal preference, what it will be used for, etc.

Reaction score
iPad choice

I have the 64G 3G version...I cannot imagine spending the money for the iPad and not going with 3G capability. Most airports charge for wifi, and for traveling by auto the 3G is indispensable. Spend the extra $130...it is only money, but if you don't, at some point you will probably wish you had not gone the cheap route. I love this tool when traveling.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think it's an interesting question. I'll add a poll, so we can see what it might be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think it's an interesting question. I'll add a poll, so we can see what it might be.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to include the wi-fi and 3G versions as options too?

16GB wi-fi
16GB wi-fi + 3G
32GB wi-fi
32GB...

You get the idea. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I got the 32gb wifi...that's way more than enough memory for me. Haven't needed anywhere near more...only using 8-9gb.

Reaction score
I agree with idrinorbarsaku. I bought the 32 GB 3G, but have not yet used 3G.
Seeing how the largest capacity iPhone4 is only 32 GB, I saw no compelling reason to have more capacity in a device that I would probably use less storage for. I am going to run out of room on my iPhone before my iPad, and both will probably be obsolete before I do either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
I have the 64G 3G version...I cannot imagine spending the money for the iPad and not going with 3G capability. Most airports charge for wifi, and for traveling by auto the 3G is indispensable. Spend the extra $130...it is only money, but if you don't, at some point you will probably wish you had not gone the cheap route. I love this tool when traveling.

Bingo. It is a fine travel tool. Maps, Internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm thinking 32 g wi fi

Most of places I'll be using will have wifi. Don't want to pay for any other subscription services.

C

chas_m

Although I am a fan of 3G I feel compelled to point out that the $130 you spend extra to get the 3G version is just the beginning. You will also need a monthly charge of around $30US, possibly much more if you use it recklessly.

This makes the *total* cost of 3G much more than the extra $130 as indicated above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
much more if you use it recklessly.

This makes the *total* cost of 3G much more than the extra $130 as indicated above.

After the initial "wow factor" and "new toy factor" wore off, I had used about 1GB over the 3G connection after two weeks. After two+ months of ownership, I am at 277MB sent and 2.3GB received.

Not sure how someone can "use it recklessly" unless they make the move from the iPad envy crowd to the iPad owner club.

Personally, I get upset when the ap store says I need a WiFi connection or download it through iTunes from my computer because it's over 20GB. :Angry:

For those that travel and don't want to pay $12 per day for hotel internet or $4 per day for airport internet (I hate you Bongo), the 2GB 3G data plan is a bargain. It's okay, I don't need to play WoW over my iPad when I am traveling. Besides, I can play when I get home. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I have the 64GB wifi and 3G models. I love it. The extra capacity is very nice.

As for data usage over 3G, I think most people, myself included, can get by just fine with 250MB per month at $15. And if you need more, you can always buy extra data as needed.

C

chas_m

What I meant by "use it recklessly" was to be unaware of your usage and go way over your cap, which will end up costing you a lot of $.

For example, I've spoken with people who swear up and down that running internet radio stations off 3G nearly 24/7 should not use up their 2GB ... oh dear ... same for YouTube addicts ... they just don't seem to get it sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What I meant by "use it recklessly" was to be unaware of your usage and go way over your cap, which will end up costing you a lot of $.

For example, I've spoken with people who swear up and down that running internet radio stations off 3G nearly 24/7 should not use up their 2GB ... oh dear ... same for YouTube addicts ... they just don't seem to get it sometimes.

lol...I listen to the radio when I'm at work all the time...you should see the total amount of data I used at the end of the month! plus other things too obviously. Thank god I got grandfathered into the unlimited plan!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Gotcha.

I'm more of a news and financial junkie than a portable YouTube junkie. Gave up on radio years ago. :D

Guess I'm more of a miser with my bandwidth, even though I have unlimited. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.