Bootcamp: Not a single PC game works properly

Reaction score
Hi,

I've heard great things of this bootcamp, I installed it with no problems, got the drivers up (3.1) and successfully got windows 7 running.

However, after installing a multitude of games that other people tought as very playable in bootcamp such as Call of Duty 4 and Bad company 2 I was disappointed to find that whatever I do, not a single game I install will start or start properly.

-Call of Duty 4 gives me ''direct X unrecoverable error''

-Bad Company 2(fully updated, non CD install) brings up a small white window which quickly disappears

-Counter Strike 1.6 starts into Software mode and lags while even browsing menus

-Portal shows the valve logo in a tiny window and then crashes

I'd rather not waste my time installing any more games if not even these run. So what do I do?

-I've got direct X 9 up
-Running a 70GB partitioned Windows 7 HD bootcamp
-I'm running a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2010 model
-Running bootcamp 3.1

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bootcamp is an installer and partitioner. That is all it is. It's not an OS. Once Windows is installed Bootcamp also provides the drivers for Windows for your Mac hardware. After that there is no Bootcamp running. It's Native Windows running on your apple hardware.

Are you running a legal version of Windows? Which version did you install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
It sounds like either the games didn't install correctly, directx 11 isn't installed (Windows 7 uses 11 not 9, or you need to update your video drivers. The drivers can be done manually, because Bootcamp can't keep up with them honestly. I have updated mine countless times already. Look into which card you have, and then go to their website and update it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Downloaded Direct X 11
updated graphics card ( Nvida GeForce 330M)

Couter strike works now

Portal does not
neither bad company

Reinstalled COD4 and still nothing.

:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.