where to buy windows 7 and which version

Reaction score
I wish to use boot camp to use windows 7. Where is best place to purchase it
I saw on Amazon Home Premium 64 bit system builder 1 pk.

In a review, some one said you have to load your own drivers.
Is this very difficult and what is involved.

Can you give advice on what is the best route to take

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not hijack someone else's thread. It's impolite and also causes confusion. I moved your post to a separate thread by itself.

You can purchase Windows 7 from Amazon if you wish. As for drivers, they'll be on your OS X install DVD if you have either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The only thing I'd add is that 99.9% of non-corporate users will find everything they'd ever need in the Home Premium Edition. The Ultimate Edition is a waste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I must disagree with Home Premium vs Ultimate. I tested Home Premium when I received the Beta, and it was incredibly buggy, then I tried Ultimate, it ran very smoothly. Yes, I do disable a majority of the features, but it's definitely better in terms of performance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must disagree with Home Premium vs Ultimate. I tested Home Premium when I received the Beta, and it was incredibly buggy, then I tried Ultimate, it ran very smoothly. Yes, I do disable a majority of the features, but it's definitely better in terms of performance.

Not sure why that would be. It's still the same OS, same kernel, but more bloated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I honestly didn't understand it either, but Home Premium happened to crash on me after sometime, and Ultimate hasn't once. So go figure, another Microsoft blunder i guess

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly didn't understand it either, but Home Premium happened to crash on me after sometime, and Ultimate hasn't once. So go figure, another Microsoft blunder i guess

Perhaps it's just the nature of beta releases. I can attest to the production version being rock solid.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here. Windows 7 Home Premium runs fine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Here is a comparison chart
Which one is right for you? - Microsoft Windows
The biggies missing from home premium IMHO
-Windows XP Mode
-Domain access
-Network Backup
-Bitlocker
This big one is the stupid Network Backup. They changed this from Vista where it was available in Home Premium - to now needing Professional to backup to a network location.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This big one is the stupid Network Backup. They changed this from Vista where it was available in Home Premium - to now needing Professional to backup to a network location.

Yeah, kind of a retrograde move by Microsoft, IMO. The others that you mentioned are not really that big a deal for most people.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.