Mac 10.4 Tiger to 10.6 Snow Leopard

Reaction score
So I was on the apple website, looking for something I could buy to upgrade my 10.4.11 Tiger to Leopard, and I saw something that could upgrade leopard to snow leopard, and it was cheaper. My question is, is there some way I can upgrade my Tiger directly to a snow leopard or do I have to purchase an upgrade to leopard then to snow leopard? I need to upgrade to leopard for a game, but I don't want to spend 150$ on Leopard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Snow Leopard upgrade is inexpensive because it's an upgrade from Leopard. If you wish to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, you will have to purchase the full boxed version which is $169. Or you can buy Leopard, install it and then use the Snow Leopard upgrade version which costs $29.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I was on the apple website, looking for something I could buy to upgrade my 10.4.11 Tiger to Leopard, and I saw something that could upgrade leopard to snow leopard, and it was cheaper. My question is, is there some way I can upgrade my Tiger directly to a snow leopard or do I have to purchase an upgrade to leopard then to snow leopard? I need to upgrade to leopard for a game, but I don't want to spend 150$ on Leopard.

Make sure that your computer has an Intel processor...otherwise an OS upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 is not possible.

If your computer has an Intel processor (making an OS upgrade to 10.6 possible)...also make sure that the game you're talking about playing is compatible with OS 10.6.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Make sure that your computer has an Intel processor...otherwise an OS upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 is not possible.

If your computer has an Intel processor (making an OS upgrade to 10.6 possible)...also make sure that the game you're talking about playing is compatible with OS 10.6.

- Nick

I have a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, does that mean I can purchase some kind of upgrade that will put me directly into 10.6 at the same cost as if I had a Leopard? And also, id i buy this upgrade, do I get more GB on my computer too? Because the game requires 2 GB and I only have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, does that mean I can purchase some kind of upgrade that will put me directly into 10.6 at the same cost as if I had a Leopard? And also, id i buy this upgrade, do I get more GB on my computer too? Because the game requires 2 GB and I only have one.

You only have 1GB of free space on your HDD?? If that's the case, you need a new HDD (or free up A LOT of space) first before you worry about upgrading your OS.
And yes, you can purchase the $169 box set that chscag mentioned.

i have a macbook that came with Tiger, with an intel processor. I wanted to upgrade to Leopard but then i got the idea of just buying the Snow Leopard upgrade. So thats what i did. First i backed up my hard drive to an external drive, and after that i just put the snow leopard disk in, and it upgraded just fine.

The $29 SL upgrade DVD is for upgrading from Leopard only.

SL_BoxSet.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You only have 1GB of free space on your HDD??

Believe it or not...I think that the OP is talking about the ram in their computer.

How in the world someone could think that an OS update would increase their ram from 1 to 2 gigabyte I have no idea!:Confused:

- Nick

p.s. Of course I could be wrong...maybe the OP is talking hard drive space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.