New G4 owner - upgrade project

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (2002) - single 800MHz CPU, 1.25 GB RAM, GeForce4 MX (64MB), 40GB, 10.5
Hi there, looks like I'm the new kid on the forums.

I can't exactly say I have never owned a Mac before - I still have a IIsi in storage in my mother's basement! - but I am definitely a born and bred Windows user who has had her fair share of Linux as well. I have occasionally worked on OS8 and OS9 machines, but missed the OS X band wagon entirely. That is, until recently, when I started doing tech support and we get the occasional Mac user. If I'm lucky, they either bought incompatible hardware or the hardware just died. If I'm not so lucky, it's often a problem in their system - in which case I have to go check the iMac in our testing lab (which - I swear - hates me with a passion), or dive into some websites and forums to find possible fixes since I know next to nothing about the current systems. It's starting to get mildly annoying. Yet, the two guys a week I get (and at least one is usually an easy fix) do not justify splashing out on a Mac I only want to familiarise myself more with the system.

Rather unexpectedly I stumbled across the solution this weekend, at a new place that sells second hand PCs. A friend was looking for a laptop and there was a G4 sitting on a table. I vaguely remembered we had some of those in art school when they were new (gee, I just made myself feel old) and decided to take it home. There was no OS on it because the shop owner had just formatted it but luckily I got OS X Tiger (the four CD version) as well.

Set it up at home, tried to figure out how to get the DVD drive to open for about 20 minutes and then made the mistake of doing a standard install so it installed Absolutely Everything. I fell asleep several times during the process.
Once it finally booted I finally got to see the specs and apparently what I have here is a QuickSilver (2002) with a single 800MHz CPU and 512 MB RAM installed. It comes with its most likely still original 40GB hard disk (which screeches like a dentist's torture instrument), a ZIP drive but no AirPort card.
The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64MB VRAM which doesn't appear to be a standard configuration according to EveryMac.

Now what I'll definitely do:
- Replace the hard drive. The current one is making my teeth hurt and will probably die soon. I got a 80GB WD Caviar that should do.
- Up the RAM to the maximum.
- Add a wireless card. Already found a compatible one.
- Add a USB 2.0 card. I decided that when trying to transfer some stuff via USB key.

What I might do:
- Change the graphics card to either the "original" Ti4200 or a ATI Radeon 9000 pro Mac edition.
- I have seen some nifty CPU upgrades but that I will only invest in if this machine gets some serious amount of use.

Don't need a screen because my current one has two inputs.
Might get a separate mouse and keyboard though, not sure.
Would have loved to add a "normal" sound card but such a thing does not seem to exist apart from the audiophile ones with coax connections. Oh well.

Any thoughts on this setup? Did I miss anything or is there anything to watch out for?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing...how much did you pay for it?

As far as the upgrades...I think you pretty much covered everything.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (2002) - single 800MHz CPU, 1.25 GB RAM, GeForce4 MX (64MB), 40GB, 10.5
Sure I paid GBP85 for the machine, disks (!) and 3 months warranty.

EDIT: It is also worth noting that I am in Northern Ireland and apparently these guys are quite rare up here. We have an Apple Store now but that only opened... one and a half years ago.
Also, looking at what you pay for Tiger disks it looks like I got my Mac for free!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also, looking at what you pay for Tiger disks it looks like I got my Mac for free!

Yes...if the Tiger install disks were included...that was a VERY good deal!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I managed to not make that entirely clear in my first post, my bad. Wouldn't have bought it without the install disks.

The wireless and USB 2.0 PCI cards came today and I am happily typing this post away on the G4 (in Firefox... too bad my browser of choice is not available on PPCs - I do like Adium though!). Updating to 10.4.11 made quite some difference speed-wise!
My Linksys Router went *** once the Mac had updated though and needed to be rebooted... lol!

Reaction score
Sounds like for a PC kid your going ok! Let us know how thing go.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh thanks. I just tend to do tons of research before I get started.

I was hoping to use a DVI to VGA adapter to hook up the Mac to the second input of my screen but no luck. Doesn't work when I try with my laptop either though. Ah well. KVM switch it is then, if I can find one that supports my screen's 16:10 aspect ratio.

Other than that I am still waiting for the new hard drive and looking for suitable RAM modules. I know what to look for, just need to be patient since I don't intend to spend more on the RAM update than on the whole box :D

I probably won't go for the processor or graphics card upgrade though, if I really use this box a lot I am more likely to sell it in its upgraded state and move on to a G5 or older Mac Pro model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A USB 2 card would be a good idea, my old G4 has a bulk standard one from the electronics store and it just works without any drivers

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A USB 2 card would be a good idea, my old G4 has a bulk standard one from the electronics store and it just works without any drivers
I got both the wireless card and the USB 2.0 card already.

Just for reference:

The wireless card is a Pluscom WP-RT2561T It needs drivers to run and the wireless tool that gets installed reveals the card to be based on a Ralink chip.

And the USB 2.0 card I have is a Belkin F5U220VEA1, this one needs no drivers.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Second try at the WD hard drive because bloody Royal Mail lost the first. However, I got 1GB memory off Scrumpymacs for a reasonable amount of money. So I am now at 1.25GB RAM and THAT really made a huge difference! Updating to a faster hard drive should make this machine even better.

Saw a Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1GHz processor with heatsink at Ebay but gave up at 45 GBP, the thing eventually sold for 87 quid. Yikes, might as well sell the G4 and by a G5 then! Ah well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds great. Glad you got it all up and running!

I am using that same Belkin USB 2.0 card. Works great. You should be able to get a DVI to VGA adapter that works. Use one here on my G4 Mac Mini and doing the same thing as you want to do. What brand/model is your flat panel monitor? I just press the button on my Viewsonic and switch from DVI to VGA and have 2 computers hooked up.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what model is that Linksys router? That does not sound good if doing updates made it crash like that.

Anyway, if we can help at all, just ask away! I own the same machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a DVI to VGA adapter but it doesn't seem to work, neither with the Mac nor my laptop. My screen is a Hanns-G HW191D.

Heh, I doubt the router horking up was actually related to the Mac, this WRT54G2 hardly ever has any problems and usually it's related to my ISP (Virgin Media) doing funky stuff with the lines.
I just rebooted it and it was fine afterwards.

EDIT: Inspired by someone else doing this to his MDD I bought one of those PCI fans... let's see whether this and the new HDD can quieten the Quicksilver down a bit.

dtravis7, does our QuickSilver still have the original hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Hi there, looks like I'm the new kid on the forums.

I can't exactly say I have never owned a Mac before - I still have a IIsi in storage in my mother's basement! - but I am definitely a born and bred Windows user who has had her fair share of Linux as well. I have occasionally worked on OS8 and OS9 machines, but missed the OS X band wagon entirely. That is, until recently, when I started doing tech support and we get the occasional Mac user. If I'm lucky, they either bought incompatible hardware or the hardware just died. If I'm not so lucky, it's often a problem in their system - in which case I have to go check the iMac in our testing lab (which - I swear - hates me with a passion), or dive into some websites and forums to find possible fixes since I know next to nothing about the current systems. It's starting to get mildly annoying. Yet, the two guys a week I get (and at least one is usually an easy fix) do not justify splashing out on a Mac I only want to familiarise myself more with the system.

Rather unexpectedly I stumbled across the solution this weekend, at a new place that sells second hand PCs. A friend was looking for a laptop and there was a G4 sitting on a table. I vaguely remembered we had some of those in art school when they were new (gee, I just made myself feel old) and decided to take it home. There was no OS on it because the shop owner had just formatted it but luckily I got OS X Tiger (the four CD version) as well.

Set it up at home, tried to figure out how to get the DVD drive to open for about 20 minutes and then made the mistake of doing a standard install so it installed Absolutely Everything. I fell asleep several times during the process.
Once it finally booted I finally got to see the specs and apparently what I have here is a QuickSilver (2002) with a single 800MHz CPU and 512 MB RAM installed. It comes with its most likely still original 40GB hard disk (which screeches like a dentist's torture instrument), a ZIP drive but no AirPort card.
The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64MB VRAM which doesn't appear to be a standard configuration according to EveryMac.

Now what I'll definitely do:
- Replace the hard drive. The current one is making my teeth hurt and will probably die soon. I got a 80GB WD Caviar that should do.
- Up the RAM to the maximum.
- Add a wireless card. Already found a compatible one.
- Add a USB 2.0 card. I decided that when trying to transfer some stuff via USB key.

What I might do:
- Change the graphics card to either the "original" Ti4200 or a ATI Radeon 9000 pro Mac edition.
- I have seen some nifty CPU upgrades but that I will only invest in if this machine gets some serious amount of use.

Don't need a screen because my current one has two inputs.
Might get a separate mouse and keyboard though, not sure.
Would have loved to add a "normal" sound card but such a thing does not seem to exist apart from the audiophile ones with coax connections. Oh well.

Any thoughts on this setup? Did I miss anything or is there anything to watch out for?

Hang on to your hat. This crap gets addicting. Bumping my dinosaur iMac to 1 GB of RAM this weekend. Also contemplating replacing the hard drive, even though I just realized I can stream my entire music collection wirelessly on my network (YAY!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.