You need to restart your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrewemmet

Hi Everyone,

I'm on a iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.1
Everything's working fine.
When I go to shut down this message "You need to restart your computer" Hold down power button for several seconds or press restart" comes up in four languages.
I gather this may be something to do with "Kernel Panic"?
If I push the power button the computer shuts down. If I don't push the power button, after about a minute or so, the fans go full belt and I have to turn the power off to stop it.
On re-starting a panel comes up saying "The computer was re-started after Mac OSX quit unexpectedly"

Can anyone help with this?

Andrew

PS I think I posted this also in the wrong place

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You're right, you are experiencing a kernel panic. You're also right in that you cross-posted. :mac:

Kernel panics (As a search of the forum will eventually tell you) are usually caused by either defective motherboards, defective RAM, or a bad hardware driver.

If the panic happened after you plugged some device in, it's probably the driver for that device.

If it stared after you installed new memory, then the RAM is probably bad, and you should contact the company you got the memory from. (Sometimes the Hardware Test CD can help diagnose this.)

If it's been like this since you purchased it, or happens at random, contact Apple Support or take it to an Apple authorized dealer for repair.

OP
A

andrewemmet

Thanks Technologist for you quick reply,

This didn't happen before Tiger[only just installed], also Broadband was connected almost at the same time[modem into ethernet port]I think it's called.
All other external were connected before. 2 Cannon printers and a scanner.Cordless mouse.
Everything is working fine except shutting down!

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Although doubtful, this might be a permissions problem.

To fix those run the Disk Utility application in the Utilities folder. When it comes up, click once on your drive name and then Verify Disk Permissions. If that runs OK and you find some problem files, then repair them, and try a shutdown.

Next I would startup the Hardware Test disk that came with the machine and go through all of those tests.

I'd be interested to know if instead of shuting down, you are able to Restart. I expect the answer to be the same, but perhaps someone else would recognize the probem if there is a difference.

Good luck.

OP
A

andrewemmet

Hi Xstep,

I had repaired permissions and it made no difference. Re-starting is the same.
When the panel comes up when I restart saying about OSX quitting, there's a bit that that says Click "report" for more details". If I do I never get any.
Seems to me that the computer thinks that OSX has unexpectantly quit when I shut down or re-start.It doesn't seem to know that I did turn it off.
I've also checked for faulty preference files and deleted a few. Also tried unplugging the modem first. The first time I did this there was no problem Next time it was there again!

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hmm since it came with a the upgrade to tiger maybe you should try to do a re-intall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This thread may be a lead for you.

Also look in the cores directory. Use the Go menu and Go to Folder... option and enter /cores to see if there are any files in there. That is the likely place a misbehaving program would do a dump. That might clue you into which piece of code is messing with you.

The other thing to do is open the Console logger in the Utilities directory. It will list you current activity, but I noticed you can click on the Logs icon to the left in the window and review other logs. Review the logs for the date/time you last shutdown unsuccesfully. I would look at the system.log and /var/log/crashreporter.log files and maybe a few others.

OP
A

andrewemmet

Thanks for all your replies. I've tried everything so far with no luck except re-install Tiger, and I will try that soon. The problem occurs about 50% of the time on shutdown.
Also noticed on trying to "Duplicate" an inserted CD or.dmg I get the message "Sorry the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred"[Error Code-8058] Anyone know where I can check what that number refers too.

Thanks,
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can live without the CD player for a day or two (or many shutdowns & restarts), disconnect its power and IDE cable. Perhaps it is being accessed to check something during shutdown and if it has a problem, it could be hanging your system. Maybe the OS waiting for a response.

OP
A

andrewemmet

Thanks Xstep but I don't understand what you are saying. How do I disconnect the CD player. It's built in isn't it? Plays through Quicktime or in a couple of other apps.I've got installed.

Thanks,
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically you would need to open up your imac (3 screws at the bottom of the display) and detach the drive from the mainboard to 'deactivate' it.

I'd personally backup all my data and just do a fresh installation of Tiger. (Erase & Install).

Reaction score
Problem Solved

Hey guys,
Not sure if you were able to enter Single User mode by holding down Command-S during bootup, but i was able to and once logged in, i went to Disk Utility , Verified Permissions, and then Repaired Disk Permissions.
Logged out and restarted the machine again.
This was on a MacBook Air.

Hope this helps.

Kam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.