Macbook Pro External Monitor Not Crisp

Reaction score
I am connecting a NEC Multisync LCD 2490wuxi monitor to my Macbook Pro via DVI Adapter 065-9199 Mini DisplayPort - DVI Adapter.

I am not mirroring the laptop (although I have done that and confirmed both screens are at maximum resolution), I have confirmed the resolution is set at 1920x1200. I calibrated the screen, reset the monitor, etc. yet the external monitor is no where as crisp as when it is connected to my 5 year old DELL Latitude.

The poor quality is most noticeable with the text. When the monitor is connected to my other laptop the quality is much better but I prefer to use the Macbook Pro and hope there is something to be done to improve the screen quality.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the article. It does a good job explaining the difference in how mac vs windows render fonts and why the fonts on my external monitor are not nearly as crisp as I was used to.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Now that you have some understanding of why they are different and why the media and print industry primarily use Macs, there are a couple of things you can play with in System Preferences.

In the Appearance pane at the bottom, you can toy with turning on and off 'Use LCD font smoothing....' and adjusting the 'Turn off text font smoothing...'.

I believe I was using '12 and smaller' when I was trying to use my Mac connected to any of my HDTVs, but never really found anything I liked.

Most people don't seem to notice this, are just not bothered by it, or get use to it over some period of time. According to Joel, guess I'm one of those Windows fanboys opting for what I'm familiar with. But, after 2 years of pretty much exclusive use of my Mac at home, I finally had to build a Windows box for my HTPC. I want crisp, clear, and readable text on my 42 - 65" screens and don't really give a hoot about what they're going to look like when printed on paper. On smaller screens of appropriate resolutions, I don't notice it so much. Or, at least, I don't find myself wanting to reach for a stronger pair of reading glasses. Don't even think it would bother me that much on your 24" screen at that resolution any more.

(And some folks would call me a Mac fanboy - ;D)

OP
S
Reaction score
to lathed

I'm starting to get used to the mac fonts. I'm going to be installing vmware and running windows for some work applications so I guess I'll have the best of both worlds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.