Not sure I'm running Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 MHz 1 GB SDRAM Leopard OS X
Just purchased a new 21.5 iMac three weeks ago. I installed everything from a 6 month old backup from my old G-4 PowerPC. I lost six months of files because the G-4 finally just quit working and was too damaged to be repaired. So I bought the new Mac and used backups from my two externals to get things rolling.

But now I am concerned because it doesn't look like I am running Snow Leopard. And I am having too many issues for this to be a new Mac.

The last thing that happened: there was a software update just a few minutes ago and I got a notice that it would not be installed because something else was installed improperly. I tried to cut and paste the message to search for help but it didn't work. Grrrrr.

Further, if this is any indication, my desktop looks just like it did on the old Mac. I don't think Snow Leopard uses the same splash screen, does it?

Should I just insert the install CD for the iMac and go from there? Or better, what is the proper way to reinstall from the iMac CD?

iMac V. 10.6.4
Processor 3.06 GHz Core 2 DUO
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz Ram
Boot Rom Version lM101.00CC.800
SMC Version 1.52f9
ATI Radeon HD 4670
Nvidia MCP79 AHGI

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OS X 10.6 is Snow Leopard. When you say that you installed everything from a 6-month old backup, what do you mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
About This Mac will tell you what OS you have, using numbers, not names.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.6 is Snow Leopard. When you say that you installed everything from a 6-month old backup, what do you mean?

Thanks so much for the reply.

When I set up my new Mac, it asked if I wanted to install from a backup. I clicked yes and all my applications, files and internet settings installed with no problem from my external. Since I knew my hard drive was having problems, I copied AND backed up all the files onto two external drives.

I imagine some of them were messed up and are interfering with the new files for Snow Leopard. I repair permissions every time I install or upgrade something.

This latest Apple software update had problems installing two files and it seems strange that this would happen on a new computer. What do you think?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since the backup you migrated from was from G4 Power PC, I am wondering if some old Power PC stuff got migrated over and might be causing you issues.

You do have Snow Leopard though as 10.6 is SL for sure. What all was migrated from the old Power PC?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since the backup you migrated from was from G4 Power PC, I am wondering if some old Power PC stuff got migrated over and might be causing you issues.

You do have Snow Leopard though as 10.6 is SL for sure. What all was migrated from the old Power PC?

Thanks! :)

This list and screen shot are from the backup I used to install to the iMac:
addressbook
Beatrice (Beatrice is the name of the G-4. It is a huge text file with some sort of formatting)
Book mark
bookmark backup
bookmarks from 2008
email summary
email address book
iCal
key3.db
mail
mail preferences

profiles:
blocklist.xml
bookmark.html
cert.db
chrome
compatibility.ini
compreq.dat
cookies
dh-media-lists.rdf
extensions
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf
formhistory.dat
history.dat
hotperm.1
localstore.rdf
mimTypes.rdf
prefs.js
search.rdf
search.sqlite
secmod.db
sessionstore.js
urlclassifier.2.sqlite
webappsstore.eqlite
xpti.dat

signonons2.txt

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Mixing files from two different versions of OS X can be quite problematic. I see at least AddressBook, iCal and Mail all of which are included as part of the OS. Can I assume that these files are from Leopard?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mixing files from two different versions of OS X can be quite problematic. I see at least AddressBook, iCal and Mail all of which are included as part of the OS. Can I assume that these files are from Leopard?

Sorry, it took forever to get the information about what was from the backup.
Yes, all those were from Leopard and thank you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And now my external is disconnecting itself. This is one of the problems that started happening when my old hard drive was dying. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.