Safari

Reaction score
This is basic I am sure. When browsing the web using safari on the iPad is there a way to keep the browser from automatically bouncing to a newly opened page. I like to choose several pages from google and then go to each page and it gets annoying to have to keep forcibly going back to the search.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Press and hold the link - you'll get a pop up window that gives you the option of opening the link in a new page.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah I know that. However safari then automatically takes you to that page. I often search in google and see multiple pages I want to check out. On the Mac I can just open a new tab and stay on google but on the iPad I get redirected. I don't want to be automatically directed to the new page. Is there a way to keep that from happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Maybe pictures will help...

So I open up Safari and go a Google search. Once the page comes up, hold your finger on the link for a second (or two)...

ipad14.jpg

When you do that, a popup box will appear on the screen where you can select to open your selection in a new page --

ipad15.jpg

Now this will open the link you just pressed on a new page. Once you are done reading that page, press the icon in the upper left corner that looks like 2 pages overlapping --

ipad17.jpg

This will take you to a separate page where you can see all the pages you have open --

ipad16.jpg

When you are done with the first page, just tap the X in the upper left corner and it will magically disappear. Now tap anywhere on the page with your original Google search and that will bring it back into full view. Repeat this procedure for the other links. Yes, you can have more than 2 pages open at a time, but any more than 3 or 4 starts to tax the memory of the iPad. Maybe they will give us more in future generations.

Clear as mud,eh?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, there is not a way to keep that from happening in any non-tabbed browser that I'm aware of.

What you're looking for is a tabbed browser with the ability to open tabs in the background. For that, I recommend Atomic Web Browser. I think it's well worth the $0.99.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.