Going to sleep = losing mouse sometimes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
Sometimes when my newish iMac goes to sleep, I can't wake it up with the mouse at all. I can push the power button to wake it up but then I have no mouse. A reboot fixes the issue.

I've tried turning the mouse on/off but that doesn't work.

I'm not sure but it sometimes seems like it has something to do with disconnecting a USB device while asleep (ie. unplugging an iPod after it was ejected from iTunes but still plugged in).

Second question...when this happens again, how do I do a soft reboot from just my keyboard? Do I even need a reboot?

thanks.

Reaction score
Sometimes when my newish iMac goes to sleep, I can't wake it up with the mouse at all. I can push the power button to wake it up but then I have no mouse. A reboot fixes the issue.

I've tried turning the mouse on/off but that doesn't work.

I'm not sure but it sometimes seems like it has something to do with disconnecting a USB device while asleep (ie. unplugging an iPod after it was ejected from iTunes but still plugged in).

Second question...when this happens again, how do I do a soft reboot from just my keyboard? Do I even need a reboot?

thanks.
Hi there,
I take it, you're talking about the Magic Mouse?
apple-magic-mouse.jpg

If so, then I've also experienced some similar issues, which I'm sure are Bluetooth related.
The issues I've had are:
Mouse becomes sluggish/loses sensitivity on desktop and right click functions
Apple keyboard (white and clear BT) loses connectivity

So far, a restart has corrected both of these issues when they arose, although with the keyboard issue, I was able to turn BT off and on again, because I had a working mouse.

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
thanks. yes. it is a magic mouse. Maybe the bluetooth on my ipod touch is hosing it up?

Reaction score
Hi again,

Have you tried deleting the mouse from the Bluetooth settings panel? You can do this, by simply selecting the mouse and then clicking the minus sign at the bottom of the window.

Then, just re-add the device. Hopefully, by doing this, it should behave normally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.