Installing Leopard From USB on Macbook with brand new Hdd.

Srb

Reaction score
Is this possible? My uncle gave me his macbook, but i want to upgrade the hdd to 500 gb. I dont have any of the install disks, so i was wondering if i could install leopard onto it from my usb drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't have install disks the easy solution is to buy a set. You can buy the Snow Leopard upgrade for around $30.00 from your local Apple store or Best Buy.

Since Leopard is licensed by Apple for use on only one computer, you can't use a copy from a USB drive unless you own the original DVD set and it's not installed on any other machine.

Regards.

OP
S

Srb

Reaction score
ok so i can buy a new hdd and the 30 dollar disk n install no problem? like its brand new from the store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to buy a copy of Snow Leopard upgrade at either Best Buy or your local Apple store. Price is actually $29. The Snow Leopard upgrade should be installed to the old hard drive first (the one with Leopard on it). Then after, you can clone the old hard drive to your new one prior to installing it.

You can't install the Snow Leopard upgrade to a bare hard drive and besides, it does not contain the usual Apple software packages like iLife09. The full install version of Snow Leopard is more costly.

Regards.

OP
S

Srb

Reaction score
ok i understand that. Thank you.

my roomate was tellin me how he can actually download snow leopard n install if off a usb drive. Can i do that to a bare drive?

EDIT:
Instead of making a new thread i figured i'd just ask this question here. Im going to be living in the college housing this year, so i started to look into some of the tracking softwares they have available. some of them are a little pricey, but considering what your protecting it can help. When i was researching, i found there just software. So does that mean if someone potentially stole it, they could literally just take out the hdd and everything would be useless?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
ok i understand that. Thank you.

my roomate was tellin me how he can actually download snow leopard n install if off a usb drive. Can i do that to a bare drive?

EDIT:
Instead of making a new thread i figured i'd just ask this question here. Im going to be living in the college housing this year, so i started to look into some of the tracking softwares they have available. some of them are a little pricey, but considering what your protecting it can help. When i was researching, i found there just software. So does that mean if someone potentially stole it, they could literally just take out the hdd and everything would be useless?

That is some sketchy stuff, I wouldn't go near it. As for your question about the stolen MB tracking software. Yes it would be rendered useless if the HDD was taken out. Since the software is on the HDD.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We don't discuss pirated software here. Do yourself a favor and buy the real disc. It's not like we're talking about $200, it's just $30. And then you know that you've got a clean install that isn't infected with a trojan or worse.

OP
S

Srb

Reaction score
yea i really dont want a downloaded version. how much is the non upgrade version of snow leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.