15" Powerbook G4 Battery Problem

Reaction score
I searched the various postings about powerbook G4 batteries, but I think I'm more confused now, so maybe someone could help me figure this out:

I have an Powerbook (aluminum I think) G4 15" that I bought in 2005. Machine Model: Powerbook5,6, CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2), CPU: 1.67 GHz, Memory: 1.5 GB,

A few months ago, the battery-life jumped down from about 1 hour to 10 minutes.

Actually, I have 2 batteries: Battery #1 stopped working altogether and Battery #2 now only lasts for a few minutes. These are the original batteries. Battery #2 (model # A1078) only has 349 cycles. Battery #1 (model A1148) has 383 cycles.

The rest of the battery info on the system profiler reads as follows:
- For battery #2: Full Charge Capacity 62696, Remaining Capacity 60936, Amperage 0, Voltage 11643, Cycles 349
- For battery #1: Full Charge Capacity 1666, Remaining Capacity 0, Amperage 0, Voltage 4125, Cycles 383

Around the same time they stopped working I also had to replace the original AC adapter with a generic one, but it is the correct 65 watts. Maybe the adapter damaged the battery?

I also used this generic adapter on a trip to Europe, with a Europe-to-US adapter, but I was told I didn't need to use a transformer because the apple adapter takes care of the voltage conversion.

Another thing that may be relevant is that whenever the computer loses power and I restart it, the date goes back to 1969. I read in the post that this indicates that the PRAM battery is dead.

So, either my battery is old and dying after 349 cycles / 5 years, or using a generic AC adapter messed it up, or something is wrong with the PRAM or PRAM battery.

I tried buying a new apple-brand AC adapter and drained and recharged the battery with it, but it didn't help.

So what do I do?

If I end up having to buy a new battery, are there any reputable brand-name batteries that are less expensive than the apple brand? Especially since I'd like to buy 2.

Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.