Problem with Word files

Reaction score
I design a magazine using a Mac G5 and I get Word .doc files from the editors. I open the files in InDesign and most of the time this works fine.

Occasionally the program says it doesn't have a filter to place the file and it won't open. If I open the file in Word or Text Edit, I get gibberish--numbers, letters and symbols. I resave with different options but the gibberish stays the same.

Do you know what the problem is so I can tell the editors?

Thanks,
Ronzoman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Please read forum titles before posting.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They're .doc files.

The files may be corrupt if they won't open in Word or TextEdit. The clue is that InDesign is telling you it does not have a filter which may mean it can't read the file.

Regards.

C

chas_m

Agreed. The files have probably been corrupted in the sending process (binhexed possibly).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.