MagSafe bad connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB Ram OS X 10.6.4 IOMega 1TB External HD iPod nano 3g 8GB
Yet another problem has struck my MacBook Pro 13 in the space of a few months. I bought this computer back in May (I think). Anyway it's one of the new April 2010 ones. But I have had multiple problems with it, first the hard drive died and now the MagSafe won't work.

So I went to use my computer today to find that the battery was running on reserve power. So I pulled my MagSafe off my shelf and plugged it in (As you would ;D) and it started to charge normal at first, but then I wondered why it said again that it was running on reserves. So I checked that it was plugged in the wall outlet all the way which it was, and then moved on to the power brick - again same thing, it was all connected. I go over and check my computer and yet again everything is connected as it normally would be.

So I wondered why there was no light on the MagSafe and started Google-ing the problem, but there were no solutions to my problem (This was in the space of 30 mins by the way). So I started to do some "diagnostics" of my own, and in a few minutes I figured out that when I hold my MacBook vertically with the I/O facing upwards and the SuperDrive facing downwards it starts to charge as normal, then when I put it in normal position it stops charging.

Do you think this is a problem with the MacBook or the MagSafe?

I have tried cleaning the connections, trying different outlets, but still no luck.

Google wasn't giving me any helpful answers so I thought I would talk to the friendly guys on the forum. ;D

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Repair permission via Disk Utility and then log out then back in and see what happens. I have noticed sometime after my MBP 13" is plugged in for a while that i get the *orange* light on the magsafe. With a reboot all seems well and light goes to green ...

?? worth a try anyways :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

It sounds like there is still some obstruction in either the receptacle or in the "teeth" of the magsafe connector that is causing a short. Get a magnifying glass and check those two areas carefully.

I've cleared out tiny bits of metal from magsafe receptacles several times that "miraculously" made them start working again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.