Powerbook hangs at "Login Window Starting"

B

billybob3

I've got a 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz and I am having trouble starting it up. Everytime that I start it, it hangs at the start up screen and has a progress bar that is almost full, but it says "Login Window Starting," and it just sits there forever. I just got my copy of OS X Tiger, figuring that I could do an upgrade with that and it should fix my problems. Well, it wont even install. It gets to the installation after holding the C button down at start up, and finishes saying that there was an error installing, and to please try again.

There's 9 GB free on the hard drive, but for some reason I can't get it to install. Any suggestions? Is there a "safe mode" type start up like on windows machines? I'm not very familiar with macs, I just switched over about a year ago, but have never encountered this type of situation. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15", iphone 2, 4, powerbook G4 12", powermac G4 (agp graphics)
hey...did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem right now...it sucks I'm starting to get fed up with mac because it's a new hard drive since my other one messed up...my sister has a pc laptop that is ancient and it is still in good condition...I've only had mine for 3 years. (powerbook g4, 768ram)

not sure what to do...I just turned it off (after 3 tries) hopefully it starts up normally when I get to it again.

If anyone out there knows what I can do...I've searched on here to find some stuff to do but tired to looking....the hardware test passed, I tried the shift key on start up thing....still no go.

HELP! someone! anyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.