No audio after hooking up my mini mac to my TV

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently hooked up my minimac (late 2009 series) to my TV by using a Monster DVI to HDMI cable. I try connecting the audio by using the headphone jack to my audio composite connection. I have video but no audio, am I not suppose to use the audio composite because my TV source is not composite?

Reaction score
in your tvs settings there will be and option to select which way your tv will receive audio, im guessing your tv has a separate port for the aux cable. if thats the case just look in the settings and you should find an option to change the tvs audio imput

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Without providing the make and model of your TV, no one will be able to provide a definitive answer to your question.

Or open up the owner's manual, look in the connections section for DVI to HDMI connections to find which HDMI port and which audio port to use - that's if your TV even supports separate audio in conjunction with HDMI.

Reaction score
btw even though you hook up and mini display to htmi then hitmi to htmi to you tv it still doesn't support audio so you will need an aux cable to go from you mac to the tv. many tvs have multiple inputs, choose and in put that supports both audio and separate video and work of there.

my setup includes mini display to htm to htmi to htmi then i have an aux cable connected to my mac and and to my tv though a red and white composite to aux converter cable

im telling you somewhere under audio or imput settings there will be and option to choose weather you want the htmi to support the audio (btw you cant) or want the composite cable to support the sound

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.