Problems with file management

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
Is there any way to move a file from the "All Images", "All Documents" or "All Movies" folder, placing it into a newly created folder in Finder, yet remove it from the "All Pictures", "All Documents" or "All Movies" folder? There are files that I have in these default folders that I do not want anyone to easily see. I am fairly new to Mac, and the file Management (Finder) seems pretty lacking in options as compared to Windows Explorer. Please help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The All Whatever folders aren't really technically folders but rather they are searches. If you haven't noticed they are under the "Search For" heading on the side. When you click on the files in those "folders" at the bottom it tells you where your files actually are. You can place your files anywhere you want but those All "folders" will still find them because it's a search.

You can choose to get rid of those All search folders by going into Finder's preferences and in the sidebar section uncheck the All search folders at the bottom. I usually never use them because I rather just do a specific search for something rather than an All Images search for example. That's just too broad of a category to be useful for me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As EndlessMac stated, the "All xxxxx" folders in the sidebar aren't actually folders but are simply searches. So, "All Movies" simply shows you all the movies on your Mac. Do as EndlessMac suggested if you want to get rid of them from the sidebar.

C

chas_m

I am fairly new to Mac, and the file Management (Finder) seems pretty lacking in options as compared to Windows Explorer.

As you will soon discover, the exact opposite is the truth of the matter. You're just not yet in the "mindset" of the Mac. You'll see.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you don't want anyone to easily see your files, don't allow anyone to use your computer while logged in to your account. Create a Guest account if you don't already have one for anyone else to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The All Whatever folders aren't really technically folders but rather they are searches.
They aren't un-technically folders either. As stated, they are search tools.

As you will soon discover, the exact opposite is the truth of the matter. You're just not yet in the "mindset" of the Mac. You'll see.
Yes. Apparently. Time will tell.

If you don't want anyone to easily see your files, don't allow anyone to use your computer while logged in to your account. Create a Guest account if you don't already have one for anyone else to use.
Good advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
They aren't un-technically folders either. As stated, they are search tools.
The OP said he was new to Macs so I didn't really want to confuse him further and I didn't really want to make my explanation any longer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The OP said he was new to Macs so I didn't really want to confuse him further and I didn't really want to make my explanation any longer...

Gotcha. Just "they aren't folders" is shorter. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.