iMovie - converting mini DV tapes recorded in NTSC to PAL?

Reaction score
Hello,
Here's my predicament.
My new Sony Camcoder purchased in Argentina is NTSC. In Australia it's PAL. I still prefer using iMovie HD, after importing and creating the movie in NTSC it's all grainy and I can hardly read the titles when I play it back after using iDVD. Not good.

I still have the data on the mini DV tapes. How do I get the raw data into iMovie HD and work in PAL format? What options do I have? (please note I still prefer iMovie HD over the newer iMovie)

I want to create a DVD to play in my DVD player.

cheers
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The problem with converting from NTSC to PAL, is that you will be adding lines or data to the original source. This is not going to help. (NTSC - 50 Lines, PAL - 60).
I really don't think that the format is the issue when it comes to your playback. All computer and TV screens can handle an NTSC source nowadays, and it should look fine.
Have you tried playback directly from the camera to the TV, just to verify that the source is clear?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.