Unsolvable kernel panic error? At wits' end...

Reaction score
I was playing World of Warcraft on my iMac with os x 10.5, everything seeming to run normally, when all of a sudden the screen started flashing on and off repeatedly. The computer then cut off, and then I started it back up, I received the error "You need to restart your computer, hold the power button..." on a grey background with a power symbol in the background.

A bit of FAQ-hunting told me that this error message was indicative of a "kernel panic" issue. I've read a lot of troubleshooting strategies for fixing this error, but none of them seem to help at all.

Holding command-option-P-R at startup does make the startup chime repeat, but doesn't seem to do anything else. When I finally let the computer boot, it returns the same "You need to restart your computer" error.

I've tried re-starting into single-user mode. I'm able to do so and run /sbin/fsck -f, and it runs through a bunch of checks. The first time it said it had repaired something, subsequent scans said everything was fine. When I typed "exit", the computer ran a bunch of checks and then froze completely. I tried it again and typed "reboot" instead and it rebooted straight back into the "you need to restart your computer..." error.

Command-option-o-f at startup just doesn't do anything. The computer boots back up into the error.

I have inserted the OS X Installation CD 1 that came with my iMac. I'm able to get into the hardware test by holding D as the computer boots, but it finds no errors.

Holding C as the computer boots doesn't do anything.

Holding shift as the computer boots takes me to the screen where I can select either the Mac HD or the Mac OS X Installation CD 1. I try selecting the CD and it boots back into the error.

Does anyone know what all this could mean? Is there anything else I can try, or do I pretty much need to bring the iMac to an Apple technician?

This is a major bummer. I've never had problems with this computer and I rely on it a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Considering everything that you have done, and the results you have received from the checks, I would suggest that your hard drive may by dying.
Your only option now, in my opinion, is to try a completely clean install of the OS.
Obviously you lose a lot of data doing that, but I don't see that you have many other options.
The only other thing would be to get hold of Diskwarrior and see if that can repair things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.