Hard Drive swaps on Macbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Ok folks....here is the situation. I have a (a) Black 13" macbook (identifier 3,1) with a 2.2ghz processor, (b) a unibody 13" macbook (identifier 5,1) 2.4ghz, and a 13" macbook pro (identifier 5,5) 2.26ghz. Macbook (a) is my girlfriends current laptop, macbook (b) is MY current laptop, and laptop (c) is a new acquisition. I would like to take laptop (c) as my new computer and give laptop (b) to my gf. Is it possible to just swap the hard drives in any of these models? In a perfect world I would love to be able to just open all of these computers up and take the hard drive from laptop (a) and put it in laptop (b), and then place the hard drive form laptop (b) drive in laptop (c), and throw the drive from laptop (c) into (a) and then sell laptop (a). I know it may sound really confusing....but I am sure that you all understand. Am I going to run into problems with this? I know I can mirror these drives if I HAVE to, but I am looking to save some work for myself here. Thanks in advance....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Other than having to read this riddle a 2nd time through to understand what you wanted to do, that shouldn't be a problem :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The only problem that you could run into, is trying to put an OS that's older in any of the OS's that the laptops shipped with.
ie If your black Macbook shipped with 10.5.8, you cant put a hard drive with OS X 10.5.6 in it. It has to be 10.5.8 or later
So, as long as you upgrade the OS's if the need be, there will be no probs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.