Syncing IPhone to the Mac, first time

Reaction score
When I sync my IPhone to the Mac for the first time, will I lose my info?

How can I insure that the first sync will not lose all my info from the IPhone?

Again, thanks for your help.

C

chas_m

It will warn you if you are at any risk of losing data.

How did you get info on the phone without ever syncing it to your Mac in the first place?

If you previously sync'd it on a PC then yes you will lose everything that's on it. But again, you'll get a warning before that happens so just cancel if you get the warning, then let us know and we can probably guide you from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac 27",iPod 32gb, iPod Touch 2nd gen 32GB v4.2.1
It will warn you if you are at any risk of losing data.

If you previously sync'd it on a PC then yes you will lose everything that's on it. But again, you'll get a warning before that happens so just cancel if you get the warning, then let us know and we can probably guide you from there.

I'd be curious about that, as I'm contemplating switching to a Mac. I have my iTunes library on an external drive a the moment, but hadn't given any thought actually to the first sync. So if I hold down the Command key (or is it the Control key) when opening iTunes for the first time on the Mac and point it to my library on the external drive and open that library, it will still wipe out the files on my iPod Touch?

C

chas_m

I'd be curious about that, as I'm contemplating switching to a Mac. I have my iTunes library on an external drive a the moment, but hadn't given any thought actually to the first sync. So if I hold down the Command key (or is it the Control key) when opening iTunes for the first time on the Mac and point it to my library on the external drive and open that library, it will still wipe out the files on my iPod Touch?

It's the option/alt key.

You would of course have pointed iTunes to your library (and authorised the new machine) BEFORE syncing your iPod touch, so no there wouldn't be a problem. The songs and authorisation and other purchases are tied to your iTunes *account,* not so much the machine you are on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.