Installing 10.5 on a PowerMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I recently bought a PowerMac G5 that I am trying to install Leopard on. It currently has 10.4 on it. When I put the CD in the drive it tells me to restart. When it tries to restart, it shows the Apple logo and the "sound" and then nothing else happens on the screen. The fans sound like they run at full speed. What could I do to fix this problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently bought a PowerMac G5 that I am trying to install Leopard on. It currently has 10.4 on it. When I put the CD in the drive it tells me to restart. When it tries to restart, it shows the Apple logo and the "sound" and then nothing else happens on the screen. The fans sound like they run at full speed. What could I do to fix this problem?

Aah...so you decided to buy the Powermac G5. Which deal did you go for..the $500 or $600 deal? Or what did you end up paying...and what did you get (computer specs & monitor...if you got a monitor)?

As far as the install disk. Is it a gray or black disk? If it's a gray disk...and if it's not the "gray" disk that came with the computer originally...then it won't work. The gray disks are model specific.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
No its a black disk. Well, I let it run for a little bit and it eventually came to the installation screen. After you pick the language and what not and try to install the OS, it says that it's missing data and to check my internet connection and my installation media. I have no idea what to do. I have Tiger on there right now but since I have a Leopard disk, I would like to have that.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Well, I think it was the disk because I have the disk for Tiger and it seems to be working okay. I think I just have to get another Leopard disk....I hope...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't answer my earlier question...what G5 deal did you end up going with?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.