Vintage Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'm looking at getting some advice on where to get a set of Mac OS 7.6 floppies and/or an OS 8 cd. I understand that the 8.1 updater is a free download, as well as the 7.5.3 **** images on Apples web site. I have no way of making the floppies.

Some background info; I'm trying to get this software for an old LC 475. I have the computer, SCSI CD drive (though the installed System 7.1 can't make use of the CD drive), all the req'd cables, an adb mouse and keyboard and a VGA adaptor.

Also I'm interested in finding an ethernet card for the pds slot on this mac as well.

As always any info you guys (and girls) can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nice job with all the links "Slydude"!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I think I've got a soft spot for that series of machines. The first mac we owned was an LCII.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Does amazon ship to Canada? And even if I were to get this machine to run OS 8.1, what would I be able to do with it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And even if I were to get this machine to run OS 8.1, what would I be able to do with it?

This is probably a question you should have been asking yourself before even starting this project!;)

Other than just the satisfaction of getting an older Macintosh computer running...there's not a whole lot you can do with it without some software that will run on OS 8.1.

There are some internet sites that have some old games & programs...so that might give you some things to do with the computer.:)

Here's a couple links to get you started:

Low End Mac.

Mac Software Links

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Or would I be better off with a machine that could run OS 9?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you were going to run some version of OS 9 it would need to be on a different machine. MacTracker says that machine cannot handle anything above 8.1

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
No I know that. Bu would I be better off running OS 9 on a more recent machine. I'd use it for AppleWorks and some older games.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or would I be better off with a machine that could run OS 9?

Whether you're running OS 8 or OS 9...you're sort of going to be pretty much in the same situation (needing to run old software that you may or may not have). But with OS 9 you may be able to do a little bit of internet surfing.

If at this point you're talking about buying "machines"...unless you're buying older Machines for collectibility reasons...you would be MUCH MUCH better off with a computer running a version of Mac OS X. You can buy some decently capable computers for like $30-$50 bucks that can run OS 10.4.11.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Would I be better off running OS 9 on a more recent machine. I'd use it for AppleWorks and some older games.

Short answer - yes! The LC475 was a 'meantime' machine, while Apple experimented with better/faster Motorola processors. That said, there are still enthusiasts and collectors who will help you with software for the LC. Check for Canadian links to them.
[I worked in a school in NZ with LC 475's and .... one 575! The students used to line up just to see the *massive* increase in speed from 25 to 33 MHz! :eek: The 575 was the first to show flight simulators operating smoothly.]

OS 9 - you should aim for a G3 or better. An iMac would be ideal. AppleWorks will work with both OS 9 and X (and it's still a beaut application!).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I have seen so far it looks like the same version of Appleworks would run under either OS 8 or 9. OS 9 would open up a wider variety of games but I'm not sure how many more. Are you interested in any specific game(s)?

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I guess I'm wondering if its worth really sinking any money into? I'd do it in a heartbeat, though convincing my fiance will be a little different.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm wondering if its worth really sinking any money into? I'd do it in a heartbeat, though convincing my fiance will be a little different.

You haven't really told us what your purpose or goal is purchasing & using such old computers. If we knew why you were interested in these older computers...that would help a lot.:)

Your signature says that you have a newer Mac-Mini & a MacBook...so you certainly have some up-to-date hardware for everyday computing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Well just what do you want to achieve? An older Mac for fun? Nothing wrong with that. Your Significant Other might however have some views on where money is best spent! Most of us who've responded to your OP don't think too much about 'value for money' in strict economic terms. We do what we do because we enjoy what we do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well just what do you want to achieve? An older Mac for fun? Nothing wrong with that. Your Significant Other might however have some views on where money is best spent! Most of us who've responded to your OP don't think too much about 'value for money' in strict economic terms. We do what we do because we enjoy what we do.

We were thinking exactly the same thing!;)

- Nick

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Yeah thats exactly why I like to tinker with thing too. But i suppose there are more pressing needs money wise at the moment. My printer seems to be on the fritz...lol And I did just buy an iPhone.

In addition to the LC 475, I have an SE that has a hard drive (doesn't seem to see that its there, must be a loose connector or its dead) and I have a 17" LCDStudio Display that I found at a thrift store for $20. I understand that if I were to get a G4 tower it would have the necessary ADC port for this monitor. I'd really like a G4 Cube!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah thats exactly why I like to tinker with thing too.

Since you have some newer Mac's...tinkering with older Mac's (especially if they are not running)...basically the challenge is to get them running..and then marvel at how far Mac's have evolved since the older computer you're working on.

Being concerned about "What can I do with this Mac once I get it running?"...at least for me...is not so important. Sure I can mess around with the OS. Play an old game or two...but I mostly get the satisfaction of getting it running again!:) It also reminds me of different Mac models I used 5, 10, 15, 20, etc years ago.

Have fun messing around with older Mac's...but certainly don't invest good $$$ into them if you have more pressing needs for the $$$ in other areas.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did someone say thrift store:D

I knew you would get excited when you saw that!!!;)

All of my recent thrift store visits I've seen no Mac's:'(...just the normal selection of "SCARY" ancient Windows computers.:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.