PC to Mac iTunes Libr. via Maxtor One Touch Ext. drive

Reaction score
PC to Mac iTunes Libr.?? via Maxtor One Touch Ext. drive

Hello,

My gf recently got a MacBook OS x 10.5.8

My old compaq is slow and out of date. I have my iTunes library (as well as some video and photo files) stored on the Maxtor One Touch Two 100 G capacity, with around 60 gigs of music. It's formatted in NTFS, however.

Am I to understand correctly that if I want to migrate my music files to the Mac, the external hard drive must first be formatted as FAT 32? This presents a problem though, because I would have to get another external hard drive, format that to FAT 32, and then mount that to the Mac, and move the library.

Is this the only way?

I also believe that NTFS is read only, but does that mean I can't move the music files anyway?

Final problem is that when I even plugged in the Maxtor to the mac as an experiment, nothing happened. I downloaded and installed a driver but still nothing. On my PC when the Maxtor is initially turned on I have to enter a password to unlock it, but I can't find any way to disable this feature. But is this why it didn't even mount on the mac?

Please help! My musical life depends on it!

Thanks,
Lear

C

chas_m

Am I to understand correctly that if I want to migrate my music files to the Mac, the external hard drive must first be formatted as FAT 32?

No. You are copying files FROM the NTFS drive TO the Mac drive, so only the Mac drive needs "write" access. You're good to go.

Final problem is that when I even plugged in the Maxtor to the mac as an experiment, nothing happened. I downloaded and installed a driver but still nothing. On my PC when the Maxtor is initially turned on I have to enter a password to unlock it, but I can't find any way to disable this feature. But is this why it didn't even mount on the mac?

Ah, yes, now that "feature" MUST be disabled before you can move the files over. Check the documentation on that drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you. It worked. I don't know why, but I couldn't find the "disable security" mode before. That's all it took.

Salud,
LB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.