Still planning to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
Hi Switchers:
My purchase will happen on my return from vacation in August. The 21.5 iMac is the choice but not sure if there is an advantage to buying online over local store.
If you have some experience along these lines I would appreciate hearing about them.
Thanx
FlaBill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
If you live close to the Apple store then buy there other wise just order it from Apple. The Apple store is about a 30 minute drive for me through heavy traffic, so I just ordered my 27" iMac. I did buy my Mini from the Apple store. My MacBook was purchased from Craigslist and the Apple store still took care of the warranty claim for the cracking case. Either way you will be ok.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I believe Apple ships things with free shipping..so buying the iMac online means that you just have to be around for the FedEx delivery to sign for the package..they will not leave it at your door..

If you can get it shipped to work..then it's no biggie..

I ordered by 27" iMac online and since I couldn't be home for the delivery..I had go to the local FedEx distribution center to pick it up..but since the quad core 27" iMac is a custom order..I couldn't have bought it at the local store anyway..

You can avoid all of this by buying your iMac at your local Apple store..:)

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Switchers:
My purchase will happen on my return from vacation in August. The 21.5 iMac is the choice but not sure if there is an advantage to buying online over local store.
If you have some experience along these lines I would appreciate hearing about them.
Thanx
FlaBill

No advantage. If you buy it locally...then you get it right away...and get to play with it right away!:)

And you also don't have to deal with any shipping issues (delays or damage)...like some folks have experienced (but it's rare of course).

- Nick

C

chas_m

Having worked for America's oldest independent Mac reseller, I would say there ARE advantages to buying locally. Chief among them is that you are supporting a resource that is nice to have handy when something goes wrong. There is also the advantage of getting the item right away. There is also the advantage of having someone local to talk to for anything from expanding your knowledge to answering questions to troubleshooting. Finally, independent dealers usually also carry some of the best of the crop of third-party accessories that Apple doesn't carry (either in-store or online).

Last, independent stores live or die by their customer reputation, so on the whole they tend to REALLY appreciate their customers. You're not just a custID# to them, you're their lifeblood. I think that often makes a real difference to people.

When the price locally is competitive with the price online, I'd say support your local small businessman. It provides other less-tangible benefits to the community beyond what I've already mentioned as well.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch

That makes sense to me, thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.