best task managment app (e.g. iGTD, Things, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I should be getting my first iPhone in a few days, and I'm doing a bit of research on what apps should be first on my homescreen.

One big reason I'm finally getting an iPhone is to finally be able to ditch the tiny 2" x 3" notebook (yes, an actual spiral notebook with real paper!) I've been using to take quick notes, to do lists, etc. for years.

After running into the awesome 43folders website (great site about personal productivity, absolutely recommend to anyone and everyone), I've gotten into using iGTD on my Mac. If you don't know, iGTD is a an incredible, and free, little app for organizing tasks. I haven't read the original, classic, book, Getting Things Done, but I've completely bought into the principle. I'll never go back to making to do lists in word docs or text edit.

Unfortunately, the developer of iGTD has stopped work on it, and moved to the company that makes Things (guessing many of you have heard of it). It looks great, and there's an iOS app to make syncing super easy, but I'm wondering if there's a decent alternative that can save me the $60 it would cost to buy both apps.

Smooth syncing btw. Snow Leopard and the iPhone is of course of paramount importance.

thanks!

Edit:
I see that some apps in this category rely on putting your info in the cloud as the syncing solution. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer something that at least keeps a copy on my phone, so that I don't have to wait for my data to download over the network everytime I want to check my to do lists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Things certainly would seem to be the most painless option, in that I probably wouldn't HAVE to spend much time learning a new system or worrying about how to sync. Only hesitation is the cost.

Are there any users out there that use iGTD and something compatable on your iPhone? I've never used iGTD's syncing features, but I see in the menus "syncronize," "syncronize and isync", or just "isync". Could any of these be used in conjunction with some other app on the iPhone?

SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.4, 4Gb, 160Gb, 10.6.3 and Mini (MB463B/A) 3Gb
Check out Omnifocus (for Mac and iPhone).

I've been playing with task-managements apps for years and nothing comes close to this. Do a Google, download the free trial (if you have a Mac), and have a play.

Not sure if it works on iPhone only, i.e without a Mac version to sync too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Another Things fan here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
Do any of these programs allow more than 1 section?
For instance I have a day job & a part time business, would be nice to be able to switch 'lifes' so to speak?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinks allows you to classify to-dos into areas which could work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I thought Things was rather expensive. However, Omnifocus looks even more expensive, once you have the Mac and the iPad versions. Worse still if you add the iPhone version.

The Mac version has a 14 day trial. Trouble is the iPad version does not - so you can't really try it out properly without at least buying the iPad version.

Anyone tried both Omnifocus and Things could offer a comparison please?

Reaction score
I found this thread after a search, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to spend money on Things or OmniFocus; I'm also looking at Yojimbo (instead of evernote, which has gotten a little slow...but is free) but I think that's probably an entirely different class of product.

Has anyone used both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it depends on how complex you want to get. I find Things to be a much better solution for the regular consumer or even "prosumer" GTD user. It's simpler and quite honestly, just a beautifully designed application.

OmniFocus us ultimately more expensive, not as intuitive, but it does add a lot of power for power users of GTD.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that despite finding this thread in the iPod and iPhone section, I will primarily be using the program(s) on my MBP and (once I actually get it) iPad 2. Does that change your response, or...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to mention that despite finding this thread in the iPod and iPhone section, I will primarily be using the program(s) on my MBP and (once I actually get it) iPad 2. Does that change your response, or...?

Nope, still the same answer. There is just a philosophical difference between what each app views as its target audience and its design principles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.