Microphone problems

Reaction score
I purchased the newest macbook back in January . Since then I've had recurring microphone problems . When I'm trying to Skype, whoever im calling can't hear me. I've went into system preferences and adjusted the input settings to built in audio and turned up the volume but nothing seems to work .

Ideas? Suggestions? I just want to be able to use my built in microphone to communicate on skype .

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you only having this problem with Skype or is the mic not working in other programs as well? If it is just Skype try the following. Go into Skype's preferences in the sound section and make sure Skype is set to Built In Microphone. I don't think Skype's preferences always follow what the sound preferences are set to.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes that's selected in skype . all the settings appear to work fine but im not getting any sound.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I do the test call. sometimes I hear my voice REALLY soft, but im talking loud and i have the volume turned up..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yeah, I do the test call. sometimes I hear my voice REALLY soft, but im talking loud and i have the volume turned up..

Which volume setting is turned up input volume or output volume? It almost sounds like the input volume is set to low. If the when the input volume is set properly and the mic is working correctly most people do not have to talk above normal conversational levels.

OP
J
Reaction score
The problem is much worse. No one can hear me talking on Skype or oovoo calls. My input is turned all the way up. My microphone still works because when I tap near the microphone it reads it on the sound panel.

I just want to be able to use my built-in mic to skype people :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
This might be a little weird, but I saw this on a forum and it got back some good results. Try flicking your screen right next to the microphone on the top with your finger. This worked for some people on that forum. Give it a shot, who knows?

Good luck!

- Kyle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.