Finder Window Options for Disks?

Reaction score
Mac Pro Tower
Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Whenever I insert a cd or dvd data file into the removable drive of my computer, I would like it to open in the Column view of the Finder window.
The default seems to be the Icon view. Even when the Finder View Options window is open and I press the options key, the default cannot be changed from the Icon view.

I have been able to make the Column view the default view for folders on the hard drive, but for for files on cd and dvd disks.

Here is a screenshot of the Finder View Options window, where it gives me the option to "Always open in icon view," but this option doesn't change to "Always open in column view" when I press the option key.

Thanks for any tips on how to open data files on cd and dvd disks in the Mac Finder window in the Column View by default.

column-view.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Whenever I insert a cd or dvd data file into the removable drive of my computer, I would like it to open in the Column view of the Finder window.
The default seems to be the Icon view. Even when the Finder View Options window is open and I press the options key, the default cannot be changed from the Icon view.

I have been able to make the Column view the default view for folders on the hard drive, but for for files on cd and dvd disks.

Here is a screenshot of the Finder View Options window, where it gives me the option to "Always open in icon view," but this option doesn't change to "Always open in column view" when I press the option key.

Thanks for any tips on how to open data files on cd and dvd disks in the Mac Finder window in the Column View by default.

The settings for these preferences are stored in a hidden file... there is a global one located in your user Library (iirc), and an additional one in each folder that stores the preferences for that particular folder, if there are any that deviate from the global.

The problem is that it's impossible to store those viewing preference changes for a CD/DVD due to lack of ability to write to those disks.

There is a very old tip I found that may help. Basically you'd have to log in as root and set your global preferences from there. I don't know if it will affect CD/DVD media though. Be aware that this tip is old... the steps to enable root may be a bit different now. You can easily Google for it yourself. Furthermore... toying around in the system as root is NOT something to be taken lightly. All normal security precautions and warnings are disabled while in root.
Set a permanent column view default for the Finder - Mac OS X Hints

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.