Macbook Pro Wireless Connectivity Issues With Linksys Router

Reaction score
My Macbook has problems consistently connecting with my Linksys wireless router. I can open it up and immediately run the internet one minute, and the next time I open it an hour or two later I am dropped. Sometimes, turning the Airport on and off a few times will rectify the issue, but generally it requires me getting on the PC that my router is hooked up to and resetting the router. My parents are divorced, and I have no problem with the AT&T modem/router in my Mom's house, or with any other wireless internet. This seems to be an case isolated to my Wireless-G Broadband Linksys Router, model number WRT54G2 V1.5.

I was wondering if there is a setting I should change either in the router's settings or in my Macbook Pro's settings, or if I will have to get a new router to fix this problem. Please list out instructions clearly step by step, even the mundane things, and explain what each does so I can get an understanding of the relationship between my computer and router so I can know what to do again if this happens in the future.

Let me know if you need more informations. Thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
My Macbook has problems consistently connecting with my Linksys wireless router. I can open it up and immediately run the internet one minute, and the next time I open it an hour or two later I am dropped. Sometimes, turning the Airport on and off a few times will rectify the issue, but generally it requires me getting on the PC that my router is hooked up to and resetting the router. My parents are divorced, and I have no problem with the AT&T modem/router in my Mom's house, or with any other wireless internet. This seems to be an case isolated to my Wireless-G Broadband Linksys Router, model number WRT54G2 V1.5.

I was wondering if there is a setting I should change either in the router's settings or in my Macbook Pro's settings, or if I will have to get a new router to fix this problem. Please list out instructions clearly step by step, even the mundane things, and explain what each does so I can get an understanding of the relationship between my computer and router so I can know what to do again if this happens in the future.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
How far away from the router is your computer? Do you get these connectivity problems even if you set your laptop near the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Please don't crosspost or ask your question multiple times in different places.

The Community Guidelines state:

Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.

Thanks for understanding!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.