Desktop Wallpaper File

D

dhole

I am new to OSX and would like to know what the name of the file is that displays the current desktop wallpaper. Ill explain, I have used a photograph that I have taken as desktop wallpaper and then inadvertently deleted it by mistake. The wallpaper still shows the photograph and I wondered if OSX had made a copy that it was using for wallpaper display.

Is this the case and is there any un-delete function on OSX ?

Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
The system desktops are in the hard drive library but user desktops are usually in your own picture folder.

You will be able to find it in User > Library > Caches > Desktops but it's not in a format you can use. Maybe someone knows how to help you with that.

If not you could get a copy of your desktop using 'Grab' > Applications > Utilities.
There are keyboard shortcuts to copy the screen too. Apple key shift 3 will copy the desk top pdf in Panther, png in Tiger. Apple shift 4 allows you to draw around anything on the screen to copy, + curser

Undelete is a bit difficult if you have emptied your Trash :-(
Best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hmmm... the only way I can think of to get that picture back is push F11 to hide all your windows, and hide your icons, and hit command-shif-4 and select the part of the picture you would like to save (everything but the menu bar) or hit command shift 3 and it will work by capturing the whole screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.