Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
phishing

Thanks for your response although it is a little too technical for me. I read the material from your link but it looks like it is a year old which may not apply to my issue . I get rerouted to different websites every once in a while from google. I opened my computer this morning and the screen was blue so I had to reboot. How do I get tracking cookies when I'm set on private? How do I get pop ups when I block pop ups? I tried used anonymous proxies and Hotspot Shield hoping to eliminate pop ups but I wonder if these sites are using cookies and phishing.

My daughter used my laptop on facebook, she downloaded free movies, used limewire and other sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GHz PowerPC G4 iMac, 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8
Norton Internet Security vs Max OS X firewall?

Hello--this is my first post to Mac Forums so I hope this is in the right place!

I get Internet through Comcast Cable and they offer a free download of Norton Internet Security for Macintosh, Version 4.2. I figured, hey, couldn't hurt to install that, since I regularly receive Word docs from (and send them back to) Windows users on my iMac for work. However, the Norton read-me file included this nugget:

It is strongly recommended that you turn off the Mac OS X firewall when Norton Firewall (Norton Internet Security) is installed on your Mac. Refer to the Mac Help for instructions on how to turn off the firewall for your OS version.

Any advice on whether turning off the built-in firewall is a good or bad idea? I'm hardwired to a Belkin router as well, and I believe that also has a firewall. So is it unnecessary to install the Norton? I haven't had any issues thus far, so maybe I shouldn't mess with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hello--this is my first post to Mac Forums so I hope this is in the right place!

I get Internet through Comcast Cable and they offer a free download of Norton Internet Security for Macintosh, Version 4.2. I figured, hey, couldn't hurt to install that, since I regularly receive Word docs from (and send them back to) Windows users on my iMac for work. However, the Norton read-me file included this nugget:

It is strongly recommended that you turn off the Mac OS X firewall when Norton Firewall (Norton Internet Security) is installed on your Mac. Refer to the Mac Help for instructions on how to turn off the firewall for your OS version.

Any advice on whether turning off the built-in firewall is a good or bad idea? I'm hardwired to a Belkin router as well, and I believe that also has a firewall. So is it unnecessary to install the Norton? I haven't had any issues thus far, so maybe I shouldn't mess with that?

Did you read the first post on the first page of this thread?

See below:

Antivirus and malware for Mac OS X

One of the first questions that many new switchers ask is, “do I need an antivirus program on my Mac?” The answer is usually no, but the truth is more nuanced than that.

Types of malware
First, let’s be clear that there are many types of malware on the Internet including the big three: viruses, trojans, and spyware. Each behaves, infects, and spreads differently.

As of now there are no viruses that affect Mac OS X. Viruses rely on their ability to self-replicate and Mac OS X makes that almost impossible.

There are a few cases of trojans and spyware that can infect the Mac, however following common sense browsing will prevent them. For example, don’t download software or other files unless you’re sure the source is reliable.

Also, never enter your admin password if prompted unless you’re absolutely sure why you’re being asked to do so!

Apple also has a great site on the safety features built into Mac OS X:
Mac OS X - Security - Keeps safe from viruses and malware

So when might you want to install an antivirus program?
There are reasons to use an antivirus program in a few circumstances.

1. If you’re paranoid about downloading and spreading malware and it will make you rest more easily, install an antivirus program to set your mind at ease.

2. If you are in a mixed network environment with Windows machines or share files back and forth with Windows users on a regular basis, you might want to consider antivirus software.

While as noted above, it’s almost impossible for the Mac to become infected by malware, you can do your part of being a good network citizen by catching malware before you can pass it on to a Windows user on your network.

3. Many schools or companies require antivirus software to join their network.

Running Windows on your Mac?
We always recommend running antivirus software on Windows, even on your Mac. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and does a great job. It’s important to realize though that getting malware on your Windows partition cannot infect your Mac.

Antivirus software options for Mac
Free options
ClamXav is lightweight and highly recommended by many users here. iAntivirus is another free solution.

Paid options
Paid solutions are available from several vendors including Symantec, Intego, McAfee (enterprise only), and Avast.

Firewalls and Network Security

You should always enable the built-in firewall in Mac OS X when you're using a public network. You can find instructions for setting up and configuring the firewall for OS X 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6.

In addition, common sense prevails when it comes to network security. Don't connect to un-trusted networks and never accept data or file sharing requests from people you don't know.

Never underestimate having a strong password that you change often. The Mac's keychain can help with this or a great program like 1Password.

--
Last Updated: 07.23.2010
Original thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/23835-official-mac-antivirus-firewall-faq.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GHz PowerPC G4 iMac, 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8
Ack! I wrote out a whole reply and got a "not logged in" message! :Angry-Tongue:

Essentially, I was saying that yes, I did read that post and specifically this section:

2. If you are in a mixed network environment with Windows machines or share files back and forth with Windows users on a regular basis, you might want to consider antivirus software.

While as noted above, it’s almost impossible for the Mac to become infected by malware, you can do your part of being a good network citizen by catching malware before you can pass it on to a Windows user on your network.​

I don't think I'm in a mixed network environment but I do share files back and forth with Windows users on a regular basis. However, those Windows users are outside my network and I don't use theirs.

My real concern was that Norton wanted me to disable the Mac firewall. That doesn't sound wise to me, but maybe it's okay if the Norton firewall is at least as good. Though I'm starting to feel that I should forget about good citizenship and just let the Windows users worry about their own malware. :Smirk: In which case I don't need to bother installing Norton -- right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Ack! I wrote out a whole reply and got a "not logged in" message! :Angry-Tongue:

Essentially, I was saying that yes, I did read that post and specifically this section:

While as noted above, it’s almost impossible for the Mac to become infected by malware, you can do your part of being a good network citizen by catching malware before you can pass it on to a Windows user on your network.​

I don't think I'm in a mixed network environment but I do share files back and forth with Windows users on a regular basis. However, those Windows users are outside my network and I don't use theirs.

My real concern was that Norton wanted me to disable the Mac firewall. That doesn't sound wise to me, but maybe it's okay if the Norton firewall is at least as good. Though I'm starting to feel that I should forget about good citizenship and just let the Windows users worry about their own malware. :Smirk: In which case I don't need to bother installing Norton -- right?
Their anti-virus programs should catch it if you send anything. I would bother with any anti-virus program especially Norton. I remember that in order to get it off of my windows computer I had to download something else because it would not uninstall. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

I understand the concern was about firewall. That's why I quoted the first post - the last section answers your firewall question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 i7
Thanks for this thread,I've just made the switch(literally a few days ago)and it has definitely cleared a lot up for me.I didn't know Mac's were less vulnerable than PC's.Chalk up another good reason to switch.

Richie.

Reaction score
keylogger

I have read the info on Mac security, and just have a question about online hacking.

I have, since January, had a debit card hacked twice. The last time about a month ago, maybe longer. (The first hack could have happened when I was on a Windows system. I have Vista, with Kaspersky internet suite, and XP Pro.) But this makes me leery of even thinking of checking a bank account online.

The second hack occurred shortly after I was using my MB Pro on an open wi-fi at a unit of condos. While I was, I got an error msg that indicated a loss of several tabs in my Firefox browser. It said the server at 192.168.x.x did something (I can't remember exactly). I immediately shut down the computer and went to ask the IT guy there. He doubted anyone had hacked in, but I'm ignorant of these things and don't really know.

I have only one sharing thing going on, viz, an internal ethernet connection for a Parallels system running 2000 on this Mac.

A fraud rep in IT with the bank said when I am online, I'm an open book, if someone has an open portal. I ran a check on GRC and it says my system failed, with port 80 open and answering pings. I don't know how to make that port closed, and have not been able to figure that out from what I have read. I have checked all three boxes referred to, such as UDP, etc.

I have ClamXav, with Sentry operating sometimes, but have never had any notices, though it was probably not running when the above server glitch occurred. And Avast has never shown any infections in this Mac.

If I have a keylogger (it could have been installed when that glitch occurred, and I was in an open Wifi network), how do I detect it and remove it; or does ClamXav do that. If it's not a virus, but an app, would ClamXav reveal it?

I was going to use the iantivirus program, too, but I have Tiger.

Reaction score
Does that new Stuxnet thing effect the Mac? And if not then what's keeping it from doing so? It sounded like this thing was a whole new thing and a HUGE deal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just as Windows software doesn't run on Mac OS X natively, Windows viruses do not either. Software is software.

Reaction score
Let me say that my MacBook is connected to a school network 24/7. It is constantly running 24/7. And considering the internet browsing I do, I do not run antivirus on it.

I find it totally hilarious that these commercials (like "MaxMySpeed.com") advertise virus removal for Mac computers. Among other commercials of course...

Oh...does anybody find it ironic that the Citrix commercial where the two guys sell sushi- one guy owns a Mac, though Citrix is and has been partnered with Microsoft?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oh...does anybody find it ironic that the Citrix commercial where the two guys sell sushi- one guy owns a Mac, though Citrix is and has been partnered with Microsoft?

Not a bit. Citrix fully supports Mac and iOS. In fact, they were quick to jump on the latter and have an amazingly robust solution.

Remember, even Apple partners closely with Microsoft (Exchange support in OS X, which is licensed from M$). Conversely Apple often provides dev support to M$ for Office.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Firewall

I have recently switched to Mac, tired of PCs. I have a MacMini OSX 10.6.4 with Snow Leopard. My first concern was with Security, so I followed instructions and went to the Security Panel, to find that there were only two tabs: General and FireVault. No Firewall tab.
Is the Firewall tab missing because
a) I activated FireVault (which I find unobtrusive and reassuring)
b) I use a router, which may have a Firewall.
Thanks for your help.
By the way, great thread, Schweb!

Reaction score

FOILED AGAIN!!!!! *shakes fist*

I do have a question though...but not about this.

I got an email from a friend yesterday, and he's been known to have malware issues and spam issues before. I didn't open his email yet because quite frankly who knows if it's even him. It could be a spambot that got him this time.

But while I didn't open the email I did have my mouse hovering over it, and when I'm on certains websites and I hover over a link it will display some of the contents of where the link goes. I don't know if that would happen with Gmail, but if it did would it have displayed any malware?

What worries me a little bit is stuff like this new trojan can be for both windows and OS X. And then I know there are browser hijacks, but I don't know if they can get us Mac users. All the popular browsers are for both operating systems, and I know that with Firefox it needed me to enter a password to install it, but needed no password for the extensions themselves. What would keep malware from installing to the browser if I needed no password to install extensions?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
For Mac OSX you would need to type in your password to allow malware to install. So rule of thumb is that if you don't know why the box just popped up asking for your password, don't type it in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.