Well my situation is... i don't want to buy a new printer, speakers, etc.

Reaction score
Well my situation is...

I currently have a 13" macbook pro, and i am planing to get a 21.5" imac before i go back to school (my macbook cant run my 3d rendering software fast enough). Anyways my printer, speakers, usb hub, ipod dock, and etc. are all plugged in my macbook. when i get my imac i don't really want to unplug all those cables plugged in my macbook and plug in the imac, or even buy a new printer, speakers and stuff. so i was wondering if there is a device or product, that i can connect a printer, speakers, and etc. to my macbook and the imac at the same time. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Are the devices USB, or some other form of connection? If USB, then buy a powered USB hub, something like this Image of USB Hub Review - Targus Desktop 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub: 1 of 9 images from Top USB Hubs on Bright Hub (ignore the bits about WindowsOS).

Having ALL your devices connected to BOTH Macs simultaneously presents a challenge, and I wouldn't recommend it. Transferring devices from one Mac to the other is a matter of simply unmounting them (if necessary) and transferring a single USB plug to the required USB port. Simple!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am right what the OP is looking for is called a crossover switch. Many of the ones I have found allow two computers to share one USB device. It is a little harder to find switches that let more than one computer share several devices. I did find a 2 PC to 4 USB 2.0 Device (Crossover) Manual Sharing Switch but the details about it are a little sketchy.

If you decide to go this route do your homework. I've never used one of these devices so I don't know how successful they are. I used to hope someone would invent something like this.

I also found a description of an IOGEAR switch. Although it is designed for two computers to share one devices the description seems to suggest that by connect this to the two computer and then attaching a USB hub as the "shared device one computer could share multiple devices.Amazon.com: IOGear USB 2.0 Peripherals Sharing Switch GUB201: Electronics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.