New User To Mac/Music Tech - Pointers Needed :)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just joined the Mac forums as i am now the proud owner of a shiny new iMac for the first time ever, i've had it 2 days now and i've just been messing about with it and i gotta say i'm quite ashamed it's taken me this long to actually buy one! immense piece of kit! ;D

Anyway, basically i'm what i'd call a sort of newbie to music/audio tech. I've got some fairly basic music theory behind me, and a little bit of experience (i MEAN little, not to mention self taught) in apps like FLstudio 8, Traktor and Sony ACID.

Basically i'm starting a foundation degree in music and audio technology soon, you know, to try and gain a more academic foundation on concepts/techniques within said field. and obviously in my free time want to work at it on my shiny new toy :D

Just wondered if there's any pointers / programs / websites / literature / tutorials anyone could recommended or throw my way to get on my way to strengthening my knowledge, understanding and skills practically.

I'm aware the benchmark industry standard is Pro Tools. And am aware of programs such as Ableton, Cubase etc etc. any ideas on a good starting point for any particular programs? as i know FLstudio is pretty pants compared to some of them!

If it helps, i've obviously got garageband, which is completely new to me. and i have a pre-installed copy of logic express.

ANY advice you guys can throw my way will be GREATLY appreciated, and i look forward to getting stuck into these forums pretty soon!

Thanks guys,

Straff

Reaction score
GarageBand and Logic Express are a great starting point and are great medium for learning fundamentals (Not to mention creating incredible recordings!)
There are also a lot of resources out there to learn them:

GarageBand:
GarageBand Tutorial

Switching from GarageBand to Logic:
Apple - Logic Studio - How To

Logic Tutorials
Logic Tutorials - Logic Café

Ableton is awesome too. Their website ( ableton.com ) is very rich with Case Studies
and other resources.
Have Fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys, most appreciated!, i'll definitely check out those tutorials and ill check out the other recommended apps!

Any other suggestions? even good books/tutorial sites or communities for this sort of thing that are worth checking out as well?

Keep em' coming!
:D

C

chas_m

I couldn't agree more with the suggestions above. I'll only mention (though its probably bloody obvious) that Garageband is *included* with your Mac and the other two are not. Well worth the prices though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.