DVI or VGA monitor?

N

North Bay 101

Greetings All,

Proir to switching to a Mac I bought a NEC flat panel monitor and it had a choice of using the VGA or DVI hookup for the monitor. I was using the VGA with my PC and when I switched to the Mac I used the VGA to DVI adapter. Is is worth my time and money to get a DVI to DVI cable to hook up my monitor?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You probably won't notice a difference.

In theory, a DVI cable will give more consistent quality, but I've never seen much of a difference. The only times I've had problems with analog were due to bad cables or connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you have an unlimmited cash flow, can't hurt, but if your a student, then don't get it, and if your somewhere in between think of all the pros and cons and make a decision.

Reaction score
It depends on the monitor, some can translate analog(VGA) signals very well while others can not. On my monitor there is an obvious difference, with DVI being better. If it were me, I would get one. They aren't that expensive. I am surprised your monitor didn't come with one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.