• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need help with video compression

Reaction score
Hi, I transferred some old miniDV into my computer in avi format using Adobe Premiere. Now I am having problems compressing them into smaller, H264 videos I can use and store instead of this 100GB chunk of weight.

I don't know much about encoding. I have tried Adobe encoder and handbrake. The former "compress" into something even bigger and the latter simply crashes before the any file finishes. Any idea what I can use to make them smaller? As far as I can tell, with these huge files I can't even burn them into DVDs.

C

chas_m

Re-compressing compressed files is just going to lower the quality.

I would recommend you start over, this time encoding the miniDV files directly into the target format you want to end up with.

If you're going to want to edit these files, I'd suggest saving them in the (huge) DV file format. This will take up HUGE amounts of space but is practically lossless. Then edit the DV file(s) the way you like (in let's say iMovie or something else) and THEN save the finished movie as MP4 or what have you.

iMovie itself can do the importing job for you, even if you don't even up using it to edit the footage (you can just save direct to whatever file types it supports, which include DV and MP4). Just one possibility of many.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.