External hard drive not appearing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I have an external hard drive. Sometimes its icon shows on my mac screen on the far right but not always. How do I get it back so that it shows there?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is the external drive connected through a USB cable? Can you see the drive in Finder? Does unplugging and replugging in the cable cause it to show up on the desktop?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Is the external drive connected through a USB cable? Can you see the drive in Finder? Does unplugging and replugging in the cable cause it to show up on the desktop?

Regards

Does it work on other computers? Are your settings (Finder-->Preferences) such that external drives aren't hidden on the desktop? Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 MBP 2.33 Ghz; 500 GB HD; Netbook Hackintosh
Hi,

I had the same problem. I finally traced it to where I had the external hard drive power cord plugged in. I switched it to a different surge box and it shows up every time now. Maybe this will work for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us more about the drive in question and how it is connected. There are two things that occur to me:
1. If the drive is connected to a hub make sure that it is a self-powered hub (plugs into an electrical outlet). Some hard drives seem to not like being connected to only the USB bus.
2. Is this one of the drives that is USB and connects to two USB ports. Several members have complained about similar behavior with that setup. It appears that the drive draws more power than the ports can provide.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
The hard drive was plugged to a hub. I unplugged and replugged the hub and the hard drive icon showed up. thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad you got that sorted out. The problem might return at some point if that hub is not "self-powered". That is one of the things that sold me on self-powered hubs. The hassle of the extra power cord is worth avoiding a recurring problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.