Malware warning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey all. For some odd reason, every time I try to load this page (link below) on Electronista, I get a warning about this site possibly being able to harm my computer. I don't get this with any other article there, and this doesn't present itself like the normal ads that try to scare you. It's extremely odd to me. Anyone else able to see this or know what to make of it? I'm using Safari 5.0. I don't get this message using Firefox.

Microsoft to give Windows Phone 7 devices to every employee | Electronista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I can't say about safari since I don't use it, but I have received that a few times with Firefox. I'm at work right now using Internet Explorer, and I get no errors with the site.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No issues with Safari or FF for me. Maybe something awry with the Phishing filter in Safari?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm… well I decided to pull the trigger and click on the link it provided (which claimed to be a Google link, though it looked like gobbledy-gook of a link). As it turns out, it did go straight to a Google page about safe browsing. My best guess from reading it is that some 3rd party has compromised Electronista and modified that article to inject malicious code. I can't figure out why Google is warning me on Safari and not Firefox though, or for that matter how Google is even involved to begin with. *shrug*

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You mean like this message in Chrome on Windows?

Looks like whatever advertising site is being used might have something that is bad..

Regards

malware_warning.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean like this message in Chrome on Windows?

Looks like whatever advertising site is being used might have something that is bad..

Regards

That's more or less what it looks like. Same warning, but formatted quite a bit differently. Anywho... I'm inclined to go with your guess there. It's just odd I didn't get that same warning in Firefox. Perhaps it has something to do with the extensions I have on Firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.