CS major student/ should I buy a MBP?

Reaction score
Hi, i'm a CS major freshman.

I really want to buy a MBP, but i'm kinda worried.

Is MBP the right choice for me?

I usually do Java Programming (w/ eclipse) and plan to do some Android or iPhone application developing.

Other than that I only use my laptop for just ordinary things(internet surfing, documents, music, etc)

And suppose I buy a Macbook Pro.

Which 13 inch should I buy? 2.4Ghz or 2.66Ghz?

Would I need any upgrades on RAM or Hard Drive?

And, last question, would I be able to install Microsoft Office for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, buy one.

No free office.

Please be sure to search first, you'll find valuable information already on the forum by using our search function:

Mac-Forums.com - Search Forums

The Community Guidelines state:

Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
What made you want to go to Mac in the first place? I have a few friends who are CS/IST majors who use Macs, they have Matlab available for OSX, and you always have the option of installing Windows on the computer anyways. now you can't get Office for free, but most school bookstores will give you a hefty discount on it with a student id, so you pretty much get it for a steal. In terms of what you should look for when buying a computer, here are the steps:

Processor (non-user replaceable)
Graphics Card (non-user replaceable)
Hard drive (replaceable)
RAM (replaceable)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are planning on taking the Mac to school be sure that your school network works well with Mac's..that isn't always the case..a lot of schools require you to install some special software to authenticate and get access to the school network..so it would be a pain if Mac's aren't supported.

Short of that..with the capability of installing WIndows, OS X and Linux on your MBP..you can pretty much handle everything you need to do for your CS classes...

When buying a Mac, buy the MOST you can afford for things that you can't upgrade and leave everything else for later when you have the money..:)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.