OS X Mail and Google Sync

Reaction score
Hey all:

I recently set up google sync with my iPhone and iPad (Google Sync for your phone), and love the functionality. Now however, I'm trying to do the same with my MacBook (OS: 10.4.6). It's not working. I can't seem to get the settings right.

How can I set up either Mail, Thunderbird, or Entourage to sync with/like my iPhone's mail and whatnot?
i.e. deleting an email on my iPhone and/or iPad will do the same on my MacBook

Thanks so much, Cody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why go through all the hassle of Google Sync if you just care about mail? Just set up your devices to use IMAP for your Gmail account.

Much simpler.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, what exactly is the difference between Google Sync and IMAP?

I was under the impression that Google Sync uses PUSH notifications and IMAP does not.

EDIT: Basically, I want the Iphone/OS X Mail client to be in sync, at all times with my Gmail account. How this happens isn't really important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Push notifications is way overrated IMHO unless you're a doctor and someone will die if you dont' immediately see the e-mail....and it's a battery draining process for mobile devices.

IMAP will keep all your mail in sync between devices, you can setup how often you want the mail checked on each device, etc.

Getting started with IMAP for Gmail - Gmail Help

Also, Google Sync is still experimental and buggy, so I don't really think it's a great choice.

OP
C
Reaction score
Fair enough. I misunderstood IMAP's use. So now I configured my Mail using Gmail IMAP, and then set my iPhone to sync with that Mail account.

Right now it's downloading my entire Gmail inbox, apparently (5000 emails). I'm assuming my iPhone will do the same once I connect it to the internet.

Hurray! It's all synced now, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.